HybridZ

Can't remove quarter glass from frame.....help please.

I have the quarter window out but can't get the stainless steel frame to open up to remove the glass. I got the 4 screws at the front vertical portion and the 2 screws at the rear but nothing wants to break loose. The rubber is hard as a rock so I tried soaking it in hot water and soap overnight but still won't budge. Any tricks to getting it apart? I have all new rubber if I can get the frame to come apart. Thanks......

post-53564-0-94492200-1479135929_thumb.jpg

post-5024-0-22488500-1479145272_thumb.jpg

I start with the top front corner - it's pretty easy to pry up a little.

post-5024-0-60057000-1479145320_thumb.jpg

If you have to, try tapping here to get the top rear moving up and out.

post-5024-0-09428000-1479145383_thumb.jpg

What it looks like with the top of the frame off...

post-5024-0-80631000-1479145855_thumb.jpg

Then gently pry the rest of the window & gasket out of the bottom of the frame.  You can cut the rubber if it's stubborn.  Be careful of the glass. Mask it if you need to.  Don't damage the bottom corner of the frame - it's held together with another spot-welded bracket.

This window also had rock-hard gasket that chipped off in pieces - didn't cut too easily.  Just be patient...

Once you get the frame off the gasket you may find some thin rubber shims glued to the gasket on the back two corners, the rounded corner and the sharp corner at the top, SAVE THOSE SHIMS and make note of which corner they came off of. You may find none or as many as 3, make sure they go back in the same place when you go to re install the new gasket with a layer of weather strip sealant between each one. Well actually a layer of sealant between everything, I can tell you what a pain in the ass it is to have to take those windows out after everything has been put back together because you skipped a step. Driving rain storms and the carwash find every little gap.