HybridZ

Companion flange 27 spline idea

jthom5147

Hi Guys, having a manufacture change his programing to make a small run of parts most likely won't happen.

And if it did it would surely cost more than the original part due to low volume.

I am sure my manufacture would knock 30+% off if we could get a 100+ parts ordered.

However that won't happen unless someone has an extra 20K in there back pocket so we are stuck with high cost due to very low volume.

Back in September I posted in the group buy section offering a 10% discount on my products.

The offer is still good now.  Why reinvent the wheel with unproven parts to save a few dollars.

A lot of work went into these parts 15 years ago and have a good track record.

If I can help let me know.

Thanks Joe

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did try that already. All of the vendors are just that... vendors. I called Marlin Crawler, Yukon gear/axle, and I think one other and got dead ends. Worth another shot?

If I was jumping in to try this at this point, I might just go to the wrecking yard and pull the flange from the appropriate Toyota diff.  Probably charge you about the same.  If they're scarce, do the development work on the aftermarket parts for $30 each, then lock it in with the factory part.  I like OE parts.

Back in September I posted in the group buy section offering a 10% discount on my products.

The offer is still good now.  Why reinvent the wheel with unproven parts to save a few dollars.

It was implied in another thread that you were out of stock.  So people started looking for alternatives.  

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/126482-27-spline-cv-hub-adaptors/?do=findComment&comment=1182246

Joe,

I wanted state that I'm certain your parts and business are of good quality. My starting this thread was done absent maliciousness or intent to undermine you or your business, but simply to share knowledge with the community and start a discussion.

Edited by jthom5147

It was implied in another thread that you were out of stock.  So people started looking for alternatives.  

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/126482-27-spline-cv-hub-adaptors/?do=findComment&comment=1182246

Out of stock doesn't mean i cant get them.  It takes 9 week for the manufacture to make a run of ten for me.

Happy holidays Joe

You're missing or ignoring the point.  Buy a car somebody else built.  Let someone else drive it and win races.  Buy a video game with cars in it.  People are just discussing possibilities and learning a little on the side.  

Beside that MMM products almost disappeared when MMM went out of business, and Joe needs an order of four to make a new run.  What does a person do in the meantime?  what if Joe goes out of business?  

Joe, you should put the need for four orders on your web site.  And there's competition now that doesn't seem to need four.  Just saying, communication is important.

You're missing or ignoring the point.  Buy a car somebody else built.  Let someone else drive it and win races.  Buy a video game with cars in it.  People are just discussing possibilities and learning a little on the side.  

Beside that MMM products almost disappeared when MMM went out of business, and Joe needs an order of four to make a new run.  What does a person do in the meantime?  what if Joe goes out of business?  

Joe, you should put the need for four orders on your web site.  And there's competition now that doesn't seem to need four.  Just saying, communication is important.

NewZed, there is one source making the parts.

The other places are in the same boat they need to order 10 parts at a time.

In fact they both have bought from me. I spoke to one of the guys in Canada 4 months ago nice guy forgot his name and have an email from Ryan in Oct looking for parts.

If it can be done cheaper that's great Ill join in.

The old days of ordering parts is gone. The manufacture would make and keep the parts in stock.  I could order 2 parts at a time. Heck they even dropped shipped for me.

Now I have to order 10 parts per item number and wait till the last one sells to make a profit. These are parts for vintage Datsuns as you know.  They don't sell like Hot Cakes LOL

So to have full stock your talking about 120 parts. 50K ++ not a good investment.  ANY INVESTOR OUT THERE LOL

I'm here to help if I can.

Happy Holidays  Joe

It's not the ordering, it's the waiting.  There's a basic business problem here.  If all of the parts come from the same supplier but people aren't ordering because there's essentially a group buy requirement, then keeping the customers separated kills the demand.  Makes no sense.  One guy orders from Joe and he says "you'll have to wait until someone else orders a pair", another guy orders from Whitehead and he says the same thing.  Both guys cancel or don't order yet the numbers are there.  How is that going to work?  Especially today, when we're all trained to expect our stuff tomorrow, soon delivered by drone, to our doorstep.

You're talking to Joe right?  The topic was cruising until he came in with comments about short runs, and other people commented "stop thinking and just buy the parts from Joe".  We're just trying to figure out how to get what we want without waiting for a group buy. 

These types of threads are where the ideas for the products Joe is now making came from.  The free market is about competition.  My comments should be helpful to Joe, and Whitehead, if they take the time to think about them.  New ways to get there will be devised if the other paths are too time-consuming or expensive.  Pretty simple concept.

The topic was cruising until he came in with comments about short runs, and other people commented "stop thinking and just buy the parts from Joe".  We're just trying to figure out how to get what we want without waiting for a group buy. 

To be fair, Joe chimed in to agree with and illustrate your point regarding the low likelihood of getting a manufacturer to "just change his program" for a few parts to get the part you want.  He didn't have any control over others chiming in after that.

Speaking of which, any update if a smaller nut or something can be used for the Toyota flange?

I got the new flange in the other day and started doing some math with it. The problem isn't the nut sticking out, but the end of the stub axle. If you want it to be flush with the companion flange face, then you can only take off about 2.5mm from the splined side. This leaves only 16.5mm of spline engagement vs the 24mm that the stock flange has.