HybridZ
jthom5147

Companion flange 27 spline idea

2) It will be weaker. There's less material. Without running destructive testing or at least running finite element analysis on both, we won't know. 

I don't think that there's less material at the typical break point, is there?  I thought that they usually broke at the spot where the splines end.  That would be the same size for both Nissan and these.

Many shafts are designed to be thinner in the middle, with a thicker spline diameter, to spread the load across more material.  But many are also designed for manufacturing efficiency and low cost, like Nissan's.

According to a lot of crawler and offroad buggy guys, the stock 27 spline flange doesn't cut it, so to make it last, they made it thicker.

Below is an example of the cross section of the stock 30 spline Toyota.

https://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/parts-upgrade/tc-hilux/pattern-less-30-spline-heavy-duty-transfer-case-flange

If you notice they used to have a thicker version of the 27 spline...but don't anymore. I searched all over for it and didn't come up with anything.

However, for our cars, I still think the weak point is the stub axle and the half shaft. 

For anyone wanting to run 930 CV axles though, would modifying this flange be any different than just using these adapters?

https://zcardepot.com/driveline/rear-axle/billet-aluminum-axle-adaptors-930-cv-240z-260z-280z.html

For anyone wanting to run 930 CV axles though, would modifying this flange be any different than just using these adapters?

https://zcardepot.com/driveline/rear-axle/billet-aluminum-axle-adaptors-930-cv-240z-260z-280z.html

For me the main advantage would be losing 8 fasteners in the axles. If you used the adapters on both sides of a single axle you would end up with 40 bolts in both of the axles! Getting that number down would be preferable to me. 

A similar path has already been blazed.  A short summary at #20 here - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/121328-snapping-stub-axles-now-what/

Some good pictures at #18 here - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/117652-finally-blew-an-axle/

Oops. wrong side for RebekahsZ.  Still, similar topic.

Edited by NewZed

Well I may have found an issue with these flanges. The counterbore where the nut goes is shallower on the Toyota flange. When I make it so they match, there is very little material left. Attached are the sectioned views with some measurements.

post-3840-0-37442700-1481247255_thumb.jpg

post-3840-0-78093000-1481247313_thumb.jpg

I measured the washer and the 280ZX self locking nut stack up and its about 19.5mm. I'm thinking the flange may still work if less or no material is removed from the end. Unfortunately I already started machining mine, so I will need to get another one to play with.

Edited by ArizonaZ

I like where this is going. Im just curious if we are going about this the wrong way. Instead of us modifying it. Why dont we contact the vendor. The changes needed wouldn't add to the production costs any or if there is an increase, it would be small. The company is already set up to make these efficiently and the hard part is the splines which wouldn't change.  The rest is just a different profile to make it suite our needs.  I'm sure someone on here would draw it up.  Seems the simpler way to go...

These are almost certainly Asia knockoffs, copied from a factory Toyota part.  $30.45!  Communicating with the supplier will probably be very difficult.  Worth a shot, but odds aren't good, I'd think.

With that in mind, consider also that they might not really be 5140, let alone forged.  It looks like a fun exercise and might lead to something good, but I wouldn't put too much faith in them when they're done, without some testing.  One of those things that's neat if it works but has substantial risk associated.

A follow-up might be to find a supplier of the same part, but from a verifiable manufacturer.  Probably cost more money but the leg work's been done on the cheap stuff.

Hi Guys, having a manufacture change his programing to make a small run of parts most likely won't happen.

And if it did it would surely cost more than the original part due to low volume.

I am sure my manufacture would knock 30+% off if we could get a 100+ parts ordered.

However that won't happen unless someone has an extra 20K in there back pocket so we are stuck with high cost due to very low volume.

Back in September I posted in the group buy section offering a 10% discount on my products.

The offer is still good now.  Why reinvent the wheel with unproven parts to save a few dollars.

A lot of work went into these parts 15 years ago and have a good track record.

If I can help let me know.

Thanks Joe

I did try that already. All of the vendors are just that... vendors. I called Marlin Crawler, Yukon gear/axle, and I think one other and got dead ends. Worth another shot?

If I was jumping in to try this at this point, I might just go to the wrecking yard and pull the flange from the appropriate Toyota diff.  Probably charge you about the same.  If they're scarce, do the development work on the aftermarket parts for $30 each, then lock it in with the factory part.  I like OE parts.

Back in September I posted in the group buy section offering a 10% discount on my products.

The offer is still good now.  Why reinvent the wheel with unproven parts to save a few dollars.

It was implied in another thread that you were out of stock.  So people started looking for alternatives.  

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/126482-27-spline-cv-hub-adaptors/?do=findComment&comment=1182246

Joe,

I wanted state that I'm certain your parts and business are of good quality. My starting this thread was done absent maliciousness or intent to undermine you or your business, but simply to share knowledge with the community and start a discussion.

Edited by jthom5147

It was implied in another thread that you were out of stock.  So people started looking for alternatives.  

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/126482-27-spline-cv-hub-adaptors/?do=findComment&comment=1182246

Out of stock doesn't mean i cant get them.  It takes 9 week for the manufacture to make a run of ten for me.

Happy holidays Joe

You're missing or ignoring the point.  Buy a car somebody else built.  Let someone else drive it and win races.  Buy a video game with cars in it.  People are just discussing possibilities and learning a little on the side.  

Beside that MMM products almost disappeared when MMM went out of business, and Joe needs an order of four to make a new run.  What does a person do in the meantime?  what if Joe goes out of business?  

Joe, you should put the need for four orders on your web site.  And there's competition now that doesn't seem to need four.  Just saying, communication is important.

You're missing or ignoring the point.  Buy a car somebody else built.  Let someone else drive it and win races.  Buy a video game with cars in it.  People are just discussing possibilities and learning a little on the side.  

Beside that MMM products almost disappeared when MMM went out of business, and Joe needs an order of four to make a new run.  What does a person do in the meantime?  what if Joe goes out of business?  

Joe, you should put the need for four orders on your web site.  And there's competition now that doesn't seem to need four.  Just saying, communication is important.

NewZed, there is one source making the parts.

The other places are in the same boat they need to order 10 parts at a time.

In fact they both have bought from me. I spoke to one of the guys in Canada 4 months ago nice guy forgot his name and have an email from Ryan in Oct looking for parts.

If it can be done cheaper that's great Ill join in.

The old days of ordering parts is gone. The manufacture would make and keep the parts in stock.  I could order 2 parts at a time. Heck they even dropped shipped for me.

Now I have to order 10 parts per item number and wait till the last one sells to make a profit. These are parts for vintage Datsuns as you know.  They don't sell like Hot Cakes LOL

So to have full stock your talking about 120 parts. 50K ++ not a good investment.  ANY INVESTOR OUT THERE LOL

I'm here to help if I can.

Happy Holidays  Joe

Joe,

I wanted state that I'm certain your parts and business are of good quality. My starting this thread was done absent maliciousness or intent to undermine you or your business, but simply to share knowledge with the community and start a discussion.

We are good.

Happy Holidays

Joe