HybridZ

no wiring harness... make my own or megasquirt

MerloZ

Hello i am new to this forum but i hope to get some opinions. I have fully restored my 260z and it is mostly stock, i recently bought and rebuilt a l28et. now that the engine is done i am moving to the wiring and i come to realise that i do not have the proper wiring harness. The guy i got the engine from gave me everything he had. by the looks of it i have a 82 l28 ecu and harness, a later 70's wiring harness slightly cut up, and the correct 82 l28et ecu. Should i bother with the stock ECCS and make a harness or should i buy a megasquirt. The megasquirt is tempting but im one to save a dollar. the megasquirt seems very complicated for my liking. if anyone has an 82 l28et harness i need it. My hope is to finish this swap before april. thankyou

My advice is - don't fuss with the stock harness.  You'll spend hours of your life that you'll wish you had back at some point and eventually move on to a better engine management system anyway.  My advice has been to do that from the beginning - put your time and effort into a system that will grow with you.  MS is not a bad choice.

There are a couple of key questions you need to ask yourself:

Are you comfortable tuning your car, or paying someone to do so? If yes, MegaSquirt (MS) is an option. If no, you MAY be able to MS if you stay stock and someone has a solid map. 

Are Carbs legal for your car where you live? If yes, this could be an option. If no, well... no.

Is there some other reason you want the stock ECU? That's up to you, but they are outdated, getting old, and finicky compared to MS. They ARE more plug and play (questionable in your case without a harness). 

Sit down and think through your real goals and options, and do it right the first time.