HybridZ

Black Dragon Rubber Gasket Kit Installation Tips

I bought a black dragon gasket kit. (http://www.blackdrag...ures/z/ZRS1.htm) I figured I'd start a thread where anybody like myself who has any questions with the installation and can't seem to find any specific answers online. I'll take pictures of each piece and either ask for help or talk about how I installed them.

Quarter window frame to body gaskets:

You can see that it's a U shaped gasket, with a longer stem on one side, shorter on the other. I'm assuming I glue it to the window trim, longer stem as the outer gasket and the shorter stem on the inside. Like this:

sml_gallery_50049_1589_764799.jpg

sml_gallery_50049_1589_136908.jpg

sml_gallery_50049_1589_504518.jpg

sml_gallery_50049_1589_921186.jpg

Is this correct? Am I supposed to glue it to the car? Tips are appreciated and hopefully this not only helps me but becomes a valuable thread for people in the future!

Is this correct? Am I supposed to glue it to the car? Tips are appreciated and hopefully this not only helps me but becomes a valuable thread for people in the future!

Correct about placement and gluing to the quarter window frame.  Don't glue it to the body of the car.

When I'm reinstalling the quarter windows I set them in slightly forward and 1/2' - 3/4" outboard.  Then I press them aft and finally inward to the screw positions.  You'll find that the gasket will scrub outward slightly all around the quarter window frame.  Then just pull it all the way in with the screws.  It's usually easier to have some help while you're reinstalling - sometimes difficult to push in place and get a screw in at the same time.

American Fark, huh?

Edited by cgsheen

Correct about placement and gluing to the quarter window frame.  Don't glue it to the body of the car.

When I'm reinstalling the quarter windows I set them in slightly forward and 1/2' - 3/4" outboard.  Then I press them aft and finally inward to the screw positions.  You'll find that the gasket will scrub outward slightly all around the quarter window frame.  Then just pull it all the way in with the screws.  It's usually easier to have some help while you're reinstalling - sometimes difficult to push in place and get a screw in at the same time.

American Fark, huh?

Awesome, thanks for the tips! Definitely a helpful bit of knowledge!

And you must be a Utah local, or know somebody here to know that tid bit of dirt on Ole AF!

cgsheen's advice proved to be helpful! I did get the window weatherstripping glued in and the windows installed. From my experience, two people is a must, or you'll be out there all night. here are some pictures for reference.

glued on (you can see the longer part of the U in the gasket went towards the outside of the window). It ends up being a little under an inch longer than needed. try not to stretch it but rather just lay it down or else you might have gaps when installed, especially in the corner (see below)

IMG 7510

IMG 7512

IMG 7513

let it sit for a day (I have no idea the exact time it recommends) then installed. 

IMG 7550

IMG 7554

IMG 7551

IMG 7553

IMG 7555

If you look on the passenger side detail picture, you can see there is a very slight gap where the gasket isn't sealed up completely against the body. I must've gone too tight around that corner when gluing, keep that in mind!

Windshield/ Hatch Rubber:

I had this professionally installed as I had already broken my first windshield and was not looking to break another. Upon picking them up, you could see slight gaps in the corners, mostly the bottom corners and they told me that once I installed the trim then that would push the rubber over. Pics for reference:

IMG 7327

IMG 7326

IMG 7324

I got to work last night and installed the trim on the entire windshield and one side of the hatch (it takes forever unless somebody has a better trick to it)

I have a small pick set, and after pushing the trim in on one side I pushed it in on the outside first then worked my way down the inside side), I worked slowly using the pick so I wouldn't hurt the rubber. I slid my pick in so it couldn't catch or tear, then I (also making sure it couldn't tear by angling the pick downwards) nudged the small piece of trim up and out. I did this over and over again across the entire windshield.

IMG 7562

IMG 7564

IMG 7561

IMG 7565

Hope this helps somebody in the future!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did your windshield gasket seal on the bottoms after installing the trim?  I had a new windshield put in and the bottoms of my gaskets are not sealed and it bugs me.  

Not completely, I have the same problem. The trim definitely helped but they aren't completely sealed and it worries me as well. Same with the hatch window, and the rear of the quarter windows. I'll keep an eye on those areas and possibly put sealer in them if it looks like they're leaking. I don't know what else to do!