#1 grannyknot

grannyknot

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

In my on going efforts to build the perfect Z (for me) I thought I would have a go at firewall flex or that brake pedal that never really feels solid. Nothing new here just copying the principal of supporting the master cylinder - brake booster - firewall - brake pedal box.

Hope this is of use to others.

Attached File  DSCN0945.JPG   230.11KB   4 downloadsAttached File  DSCN0947.JPG   228.93KB   4 downloadsAttached File  DSCN0949.JPG   224.24KB   2 downloadsAttached File  DSCN0941.JPG   231.8KB   2 downloadsAttached File  DSCN0950.JPG   227.23KB   2 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by grannyknot, 20 December 2016 - 05:04 PM.

#2 Neverdone

Neverdone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

Very cool. Now draw it up in CAD so we can all have one ;)

#3 seattlejester

seattlejester

Totally Addicted

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1958 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WASHINGTON

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:47 PM

As previously mentioned, looks solid!

Almost seems like you would need flats on the cap so you can add some preload.

Really looking forward to your reports on how it feels.

#4 grannyknot

grannyknot

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

Very cool. Now draw it up in CAD so we can all have one ;)

HaHa, that's good one, that will never happen if it is left up to me.

As previously mentioned, looks solid!

Almost seems like you would need flats on the cap so you can add some preload.

Really looking forward to your reports on how it feels.

Flats on the cap? Oh I get it, the cap touching the end of the M/C spins freely, the flats are on the threaded rod right next to the cap for pre-load adjustment and the nut is for locking it in place.

#5 matteblack

matteblack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:18 PM

Still lots of room for induction?

Its too bad our chassis needs such a bulky solution, but well done.

#6 seattlejester

seattlejester

Totally Addicted

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1958 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:13 AM

Ah I see the ground down threads now. 

#7 rturbo 930

rturbo 930

Porschephile

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:51 AM

Its too bad our chassis needs such a bulky solution, but well done.

This isn't the only way to address the problem. I think I recall John Coffey saying that he reinforced this area with a piece of 1/8" plate to stop flex. You could probably also brace that to the underside of the cowl if need be.

Owen | 1976 280Z | 1986 Jetta | 1953 CJ3B

A car is a hole in the air, suspended there by four rubber doughnuts which you can not eat.
Into this hole, you throw money, which you will never see again.

Buy my stuff: CLICK HERE

#8 JMortensen

JMortensen

Retired Admin.

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12432 posts
  • LocationSeattle area, WA

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:37 PM

I know more modern cars do this all the time, but the Z chassis is SO flexy that I'm wondering if it's a good idea. When I put jackstands under the TC rod buckets on my Z I could WATCH the front end droop 3/8 or 1/2 inch as I lowered the front end off the jack (jacked up on the xmember). If you don't take care of that weakness first and you just use the strut to the master as a brace, I'm just concerned that the pressure on the master could cause problems.

Fabrication looks very nice.

Jon Mortensen, owner/operator www.petdoorstore.com

#9 clarkspeed

clarkspeed

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationDowntown Orlando Florida

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

Interesting solution. I thought about trying something similar numerous times but never did. The firewall definitely flexes a lot. Especially if you have removed the booster. I had a doubler plate on my last car but it only stiffened maybe 50%.

S30 Motorsports: Restoring, building, and racing vintage cars.  Current projects: 71 240Z CP Bob Leitzinger tribute vintage race car, 70 240Z partial tube frame IMSA GTU vintage race car, 60 Mini Cooper vintage race car.  "If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones

#10 74_5.0L_Z

74_5.0L_Z

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • LocationRockledge, FL

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:50 PM

Is this only a problem on the 240Z?  I've had two 260Z and have never noticed the firewall flexing.

#11 grannyknot

grannyknot

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:23 PM

I know more modern cars do this all the time, but the Z chassis is SO flexy that I'm wondering if it's a good idea. When I put jackstands under the TC rod buckets on my Z I could WATCH the front end droop 3/8 or 1/2 inch as I lowered the front end off the jack (jacked up on the xmember). If you don't take care of that weakness first and you just use the strut to the master as a brace, I'm just concerned that the pressure on the master could cause problems.

Fabrication looks very nice.

Jon, I'm also going to be stitch welding all the major seams when the car comes back from the acid dippers so I'm hoping that will fix some of the flex. What kind of problems do you for see with the M/C?

#12 JMortensen

JMortensen

Retired Admin.

• Donating Members
  • 12432 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

Jon, I'm also going to be stitch welding all the major seams when the car comes back from the acid dippers so I'm hoping that will fix some of the flex. What kind of problems do you for see with the M/C?

I don't honestly know. All I can tell you is that if you can watch the frame rails flex, presumably the strut towers are moving too. I guess the question is: what happens when you push really hard on the end of the master?

What would be really interesting would be to take some measurements on how far the strut towers move back towards the firewall under heavy braking. I have the feeling that they move quite a bit.

#13 seattlejester

seattlejester

Totally Addicted

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1958 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:33 PM

Maybe we need to employ a spring setup to set a limit where excess pressure would just be used into the spring. 

Surely it can't be too much movement though right? I mean if the shock towers moved that much you would imagine body lines that are mounted to sheet metal would come in contact with each other like the hood/cowl or the fender/door no?

#14 RebekahsZ

RebekahsZ

Life Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5375 posts
  • LocationFlorence, Alabama

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:37 AM

I have done something similar and been running it for years. Your solution looks good. My 240z had lots of firewall flex. I used rod ends and tubes to do essentially the same thing.

1972 240z, purchased in 1991 for $900. Bone stock LS2/T56/DBW from 2006 GTO, swap completed in 2011. 400rwhp/435 rwtq. 2400# minus driver. JCI swap, Mantic ER2 clutch kit, JTR headers, single exhaust, Borla muffler, MGW shifter, M2 Differentials shortened Z31 CV axles, Z31 CLSD R200, Chequered Flag Racing billet stubs and companion flanges. MSD 2-step, Hurst roll control, both operated from switches on clutch pedal. 9" Hoosier drag slicks on Weld Draglites, 245/45/16 Hoosier A6/R6 on 16X8+10 Rota RBR. 225/250 sectioned coilovers, Koni 8610-1437RACE shocks, DP and EMI camber plates, MM shortened rear control arms, TTT front control arms, poly and aluminum bushings. Top speeds: Ohio Mile 174mph, C/GMS class record holder, best 1/8 mile 6.96 at 100mph, best 1/4-mile 11.0 at 126mph, best 60' 1.43, best 1/2-mile 148mph at GA 1/2-mile. Home Track-Jake's Dragway, Moulton, AL. SCCA autocross club - TVR, Huntsville, AL. Lets race!

#15 NewZed

NewZed

Clandestine Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5260 posts
  • LocationWashington County, Oregon

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:04 AM

What would be really interesting would be to take some measurements on how far the strut towers move back towards the firewall under heavy braking. I have the feeling that they move quite a bit.

Wouldn't there be force on the tower forward under braking?  Levering around the TC rod?  Just trying to wrap my head around it.  Straight line pushing the wheel backward, but rotational pushing the top forward.  You could imagine if the top of the strut was disconnected and you hit the brakes it would rotate around as the bottom of the tire is pushed backward.

#16 Evlevo

Evlevo

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationManitoba Canada

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:19 PM

Would a thin bushing between the brace and the MC be of any benefit? Seems like movement may wear away metal if flex is bad in other directions.

#17 grannyknot

grannyknot

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:46 PM

Would a thin bushing between the brace and the MC be of any benefit? Seems like movement may wear away metal if flex is bad in other directions.

That is why you pre load the brace against to M/C with the threaded rod so there is no movement to begin with,  the shock tower, M/C and firewall sort of become one so when you push the brake pedal that force is spread out to the front suspension structure and the firewall resulting in less movement and hopefully a better brake pedal. Once that cap is tightened against the M/C there should be no movement between them.

#18 Evlevo

Evlevo

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationManitoba Canada

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:14 PM

That is why you pre load the brace against to M/C with the threaded rod so there is no movement to begin with,  the shock tower, M/C and firewall sort of become one so when you push the brake pedal that force is spread out to the front suspension structure and the firewall resulting in less movement and hopefully a better brake pedal. Once that cap is tightened against the M/C there should be no movement between them.

I see what you mean yes, but i was thinking more up/down side/side motions from the strut tower itself flexing in compairson to the position to the MC under hard cornering and big bumps. Just seems to be there would still be other flex and stress forces that could cause rubbing in a chassis as flexy as these cars are.

Edited by Evlevo, 23 December 2016 - 06:15 PM.

#19 JMortensen

JMortensen

Retired Admin.

• Donating Members
  • 12432 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:11 PM

Wouldn't there be force on the tower forward under braking?  Levering around the TC rod?  Just trying to wrap my head around it.  Straight line pushing the wheel backward, but rotational pushing the top forward.  You could imagine if the top of the strut was disconnected and you hit the brakes it would rotate around as the bottom of the tire is pushed backward.

Yes. That is absolutely right. But if the frame rails flex towards the firewall more than the rails flex the opposite way... My ***guess*** is that the beam loading of the whole chassis under braking has more effect than the strut towers trying to fold forward under the brake torque.  

#20 Miles

Miles

Miles ahead!

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:29 PM

Strut tower braces to the firewall might do the trick.

I noticed that going from a 240Z booster to a 280Z booster reduced firewall flex somewhat.

Attached Files

“Life is like arriving late for a movie, having to figure out what was going on without bothering everybody with a lot of questions, and then being unexpectedly called away before you find out how it ends.”    -Joseph Campbell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users