22 replies to this topic

#1 D-Hemi

D-Hemi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationRochester,NY

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:56 PM

Hi guys I recently bought a 1977 280z after getting it home and looking it over more I'm starting to think I shouldn't cut this car out like my vision requires. So basically should I look for a different z in worst shape and not violate this one or should I go ahead and cut wheel wells out. I put three pictures of how it sits currently and one picture of what I envision it to be like. Please any feedback is welcomed thanks guys.

Attached Files

#2 McGruber21

McGruber21

Moving Up

• Donating Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTucson,AZ

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:03 PM

They made plenty of 280z's, I say cut it up  :2thumbs:

#3 Neverdone

Neverdone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

It's your car. You're not destroying the last one or anything.

#4 rturbo 930

rturbo 930

Porschephile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:49 PM

They made plenty of 280z's, I say cut it up  :2thumbs:

And how many are left? Terrible way to justify cutting up a car.

280Zs are not, and will never be, as valuable as 240Zs, but with the way things are going, any solid, rust free chassis is going to be worth money. What specifically do you want to do? Just fender flares? Or more, ie, major structural changes? Cutting up the car for fender flares would not be the greatest crime, but maybe see if you can find a suitable, but less clean car within a reasonable period of time, say, 2-3 months, and if you can't go ahead with your plans. Ultimately, it's your car, but you did ask the question, so you must care at least a little bit.

At this point in time, I think we should be trying to preserve the cleanest of Zs, and that car looks like it just might qualify.

Edited by rturbo 930, 21 December 2016 - 03:50 PM.

Owen | 1976 280Z | 1986 Jetta | 1953 CJ3B

A car is a hole in the air, suspended there by four rubber doughnuts which you can not eat.
Into this hole, you throw money, which you will never see again.

Buy my stuff: CLICK HERE

#5 thumpgun

thumpgun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:27 PM

Well, as stated above it's your car. I love the bolt on ZG style flares. The molded ones, not so much. These cars are slowly disappearing and the S30 models are more iconic and valueble. Once they're gone, they're gone. So many have rusted away, been wrecked, trashed or crushed. I couldn't cut one up unless it was already badly rusted or mangled.

rturbo930 makes some great points. It's always worth listening to other peoples ideas on things and see if you agree with some or all of it. It may change your mind. Or help you make a better informed decision.

If it were me I'd keep the clean car looking clean. And find a rougher car to build. Or sell and buy something already modified.

Before I got my car I wanted to do ZG flares. I love the look and the wider wheels. After getting a fairly clean 240Z I immediately decided not to cut the fenders. It's not a perfect car but it's way to clean to cut up.i bought a 432 style spoiler for it but I don't know if I can drill holes in the hatch to mount it.

I hope to one day get a later model S30 to modify with flares and trick it out a little more. I hope everyone that replied to your post helped you in some way.

Great car! Good luck!

'73 Datsun 240Z - '85 Mazda RX-7 GS - '61 VW Kafer

#6 McGruber21

McGruber21

Moving Up

• Donating Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTucson,AZ

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:31 PM

And how many are left? Terrible way to justify cutting up a car.

280Zs are not, and will never be, as valuable as 240Zs, but with the way things are going, any solid, rust free chassis is going to be worth money. What specifically do you want to do? Just fender flares? Or more, ie, major structural changes? Cutting up the car for fender flares would not be the greatest crime, but maybe see if you can find a suitable, but less clean car within a reasonable period of time, say, 2-3 months, and if you can't go ahead with your plans. Ultimately, it's your car, but you did ask the question, so you must care at least a little bit.

At this point in time, I think we should be trying to preserve the cleanest of Zs, and that car looks like it just might qualify.

I agree, preserving prime, ORIGINAL Datsuns is essential; but this one looks to have been repainted making it a prime candidate for customization (in my eyes). I was only supporting modifications.  

#7 McGruber21

McGruber21

Moving Up

• Donating Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTucson,AZ

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:37 PM

Star Road in Japan makes smooth and clean front grilles and air dams. Other companies mimic their style so you can find parts in the states.  

Attached Files

#8 rturbo 930

rturbo 930

Porschephile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:59 PM

I agree, preserving prime, ORIGINAL Datsuns is essential; but this one looks to have been repainted making it a prime candidate for customization (in my eyes). I was only supporting modifications.  

Paint is an easy fix. Loads of rust, not so much. Even some of the nicer survivors need paint, and even a little rust repair.

The more I think about it, seeing the condition of this car (assuming the pics are an accurate representation), I don't think I'd modify it.

You should post this question on classiczcars.com. They lean more toward restoration and preservation, and they could give you a better answer.

Edited by rturbo 930, 21 December 2016 - 09:03 PM.

A car is a hole in the air, suspended there by four rubber doughnuts which you can not eat.

#9 Neverdone

Neverdone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:07 AM

Preservation to what end?

Who are we preserving these cars for, and why?

#10 NewZed

NewZed

Clandestine Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5359 posts
  • LocationWashington County, Oregon

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:30 AM

The weird thing about value is that the fewer there are of a thing the more valuable they become.  The fact that you didn't pay so much that you're afraid to cut it up kind of says that there's too many out there.

#11 rturbo 930

rturbo 930

Porschephile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:04 AM

The fact that you didn't pay so much that you're afraid to cut it up kind of says that there's too many out there.

I think that has more to do with his financial situation than anything else. Most of us here would be afraid to so much as ding a Ferrari, but there are people who will use and abuse a car like that to no end without a second thought about what it will cost to fix.

Preservation to what end?

Who are we preserving these cars for, and why?

Why trash a car unnecessarily? Plenty of lower grade Datsuns out there. Not so many nice ones.

#12 Neverdone

Neverdone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

Who's to say he's gonna trash it? 

Is Mark Rolston's trashed? Because that's definitely not original anymore.

#13 rturbo 930

rturbo 930

Porschephile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:03 PM

Is Mark Rolston's trashed? Because that's definitely not original anymore.

Depends who you ask, and depends how it looked before. I think you'd have to be pretty dim to take a car that is basically factory perfect and turn it into Mark's Z. One that's a bit rougher, well, I think most of us here would say it's an improvement.

One other thing you can't forget - there are people who actually enjoy these cars as they came from the factory. Like most here, I'm not one of them, but they do exist, and I personally don't mind leaving the finer examples to those people, and taking the lesser examples for myself to modify. Thing is, modifying a car is a one way street. A car is original once. Once it has flares, an engine swap, etc. it's pretty hard to go back. Kinda sucks for the people who want a car that is all original, since it is a constantly dwindling supply.

#14 Neverdone

Neverdone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

His car is from the North East, the odds of it being a pristine, museum quality example are around 0%.

You guys get way too much snow and use way too much salt to have an older Japanese car last like that.

It's also got two pin stripes on it which are running the length of the car, so if I had to take a guess, I'd say that's not the original paint. And if it's already not original, and it's his car, then who cares?

#15 rturbo 930

rturbo 930

Porschephile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:09 PM

Ya know, seeing as cars have wheels, it's possible to move a car from one side of the country to the other.

Just because it has one or two unoriginal features doesn't somehow cancel out its otherwise excellent condition.

I have a feeling we're never going to agree on this topic.

#16 Neverdone

Neverdone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

I have a feeling we're never going to agree on this topic.

Agreed, but it was good to get your views on the matter. I don't disagree with all of them.

#17 D-Hemi

D-Hemi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationRochester,NY

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:04 PM

i drove down to Atlanta to pick up the car.  It has Alabama plates on it and was last on the road in 2014.  The vehicle has been painted i have no idea when.  I was looking to obviously do some large flares and lower the vehicle.  I would be doing a engine swap either a L28ET or a Nissan RB.  i'm not in a hurry to do this project,  I'm 40 years old and plan on this being my last project the one that stays in my garage til i pass.  It took me 10 years to pull the trigger on the Z since my other option was the the FD RX7.  I went with the Z cause it was a lower starting price than any RX7 i have seen and i felt it also took care of my 70's classic car that i was tossed up on in and out of that 10 year span.  (i flirted with 70-74 camaro and firebird).  I had own a 73 Firebird when i was 18 and if I had kept that like i should we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.  But i do love the japanese cars.  i was in high school during the great japan car years of 90-94.  Anyway i was looking at two Z cars at the time of purchase one a 72 240z that had been stripped down to no interior floor boards cut out ready for new ones to be welded in this is the one i wanted it was also less money and 80 miles from me the guy didn't respond to my emails and text.  so the 77 280z guy responded right away and planned to go see it the next weekend once i got there i just wanted the car so i over looked my feelings cutting it up and brought it home obviously paid more for it then the 72.  once i had it home didn't the guy with the 72 text me to tell me his other deal fell through so for the hell of it i went and looked at it.  i wanted to buy it so bad i couldn't get the wife to buy into my vision cause i just picked one up that was complete and why have two sitting in the garage.  basically she didn't understand and i missed out on the vehicle i didn't mind cutting up it was most of the way there already.  so i'm thinking i need to keep a eye out for a different Z 

#18 Neverdone

Neverdone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:56 AM

Don't have regrets on anything you're gonna do. If you're gonna always feel bad about doing anything to the car, then it's probably not the car for you.

But if you're gonna keep the car forever, then who cares about vehicle value and originalness, and focus more on what you're going to get the most enjoyment out of.

This would be a different scenario if this was a first run 280z, or especially an early 240z...but it's not.

You could bolt the hulking bumpers back onto it, restore the paint to the original Nissan color, and put period correct wheels on it if you want to, and a lot of guys will thank you for it.

...or you can do whatever you want to because you can. 

Who are you making this car for, you or them?

#19 Nelsonian

Nelsonian

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:59 PM

^^^ I echo the same thoughts as above with Neverdone, Who are you making this car for, you or them is the question.

I stumbled onto this quote while researching Vitaloni sebring mach 1 mirrors on a porsche site that fits this thread to a T.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"

--clutch-monkey

Nelsonian, San Diego, CA.

#20 Rob L

Rob L

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:18 PM

If its rusted already cut it up ,,, would be a shame to cut up a mint one though ...but this is hybridz and anything goes...

So ultimately its up to you ....if 10 years from now the uncut ones become extremely valuable ...would you regret it?

The more years go by the more the unmolested rust free ones become more valuable....once its cut it can only appeal to those who like it cut and flared .

I like both looks But cant cut a rust free one ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users