#21 TimZ

TimZ

OG Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2355 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:55 AM

I'm 40 years old and plan on this being my last project the one that stays in my garage til i pass.  

To me, this is key.  If you were going to just play with it for a couple of years and then sell it, then modifying it probably won't help your resale value.  If you are going to keep it for the next ~40 years, then it needs to make YOU happy, not me or anybody else.  

I'm in the same situation - I've had my Z since 1980 and likely it will get passed on to my son.  It is heavily modifyed and has no hope of ever being restored to stock (and I have no desire to do so).  My car gets a LOT of positive attention when I'm out driving it around, and the number of times I've been told that it would have been better if I had just left my car alone is exactly zero.

Edited by TimZ, 11 January 2017 - 05:55 AM.

Posted Image

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
-FZ, Joe's Garage

#22 Villeman

Villeman

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:40 AM

I would say do it....but since its a good car you are sacrificing DO IT PROPERLY!

:) that much you owe the car ^^ if you now cut corners or do it sloppy , thats something you will definitley regret later

Edited by Villeman, 11 January 2017 - 06:41 AM.

#23 rturbo 930

rturbo 930

Porschephile

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1538 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

Agreed, if you do modify it, do it properly. That should apply to every build though.

One more thing worth mentioning... even if you do decide to get another less pristine car, the new owner may still cut it up.

Owen | 1976 280Z | 1988 325is | 1986 Jetta | 1953 CJ3B

A car is a hole in the air, suspended there by four rubber doughnuts which you can not eat.
Into this hole, you throw money, which you will never see again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users