HybridZ

Toyota V6 swaps? (2GR-FE)

turbogrill

1) It's not Nissan.

2) Most people are going to swap in another straight-6, V8, or turbo-4. V6 is the redheaded step child of the performance world.

3) The VQ engine is also readily available, and is way easier to find a manual transmission. Unless there's some other non-stock transmission that bolts up to it, I don't believe there is a manual transmission for those engines (I could be mistaken)

4) The MR2 community uses them because it's a transverse engine. The 240z requires a longitudinal engine. Not sure how much work would be required to make it so.

5) (And ultimately the biggest and only real reason) Because there are easier options out there that will achieve the same goal. The only reason I could see for ever doing that swap would be because you got one of the engines on the extreme cheap (free) and you wanted to just be different for the sake of being different.

That all being said, if you got one, go for it! I'd love to read about it.

2) Most people are going to swap in another straight-6, V8, or turbo-4. V6 is the redheaded step child of the performance world.

3) The VQ engine is also readily available, and is way easier to find a manual transmission. Unless there's some other non-stock transmission that bolts up to it, I don't believe there is a manual transmission for those engines (I could be mistaken)

4) The MR2 community uses them because it's a transverse engine. The 240z requires a longitudinal engine. Not sure how much work would be required to make it so.

Curious, why this hatred against V6?

I think there is a Camry manual that works, but probably still much less common than nissan manual.

Thanks

Even if there was a Camry with a manual, it would be a FWD transmission.

V6's are inherently unbalanced, and the sound is usually something that isn't as nice to listen to as a V8 or Inline 6. The sound part is an opinion, but it's a commonly held opinion.

I think given our forum, the not nissan engine thing is pretty moot. That is pretty much the worst argument save for appealing to others who have that same thought. That isn't a personal attack on you Neverdone, I just had a very bull headed discussion with someone who wouldn't admit that the toyota inline 6's are easier to install then the nissan ones just due to their layout in a LHD car. In the end after raising all the points for merit, it boiled down to "it's a datsun, it should have a nissan heart" that is opinion man...factually not relevant.

*Ahem* I digress, but Vq's also sound amazing, I don't know what gives them that hohoho sound, but it just makes me all giddy when I hear them. 

I was thinking that this would be a lost cause because of the need for a bell housing adapter, custom flywheel etc, but turns out there is an adapter kit to an R154 for under 750ish with a clutch so that just overcame a butt load of obstacles, granted you would still need to source an R154 which can still be a world of annoyance then a custom drive shaft and custom mounts.

The benefit to a V6 layout is that it is compact. Great for cars like the MR2 that originally had an Inline 4 the V6 would be even smaller length wise. For the Z our engine bays came with an Inline 6 so we have almost all the room in the world. V8's generally make more power, are more plentiful, have more aftermarket support, and still sit pretty close to behind the shock towers.

In options for the V6 we also have the VG30 which came in twin turbo form from the factory and the VQ35 and later VQ37DE which has an absolute ton of aftermarket support and both of these engines came with their own matching FR layout transmissions. 

There really isn't much hate for the V6, but an Inline 6 whether RB or JZ really is buttery smooth and have an absolute ton of support, an american V8 will have even more support domestically and most likely make more power compared to a V6, and if weight was your game an inline 4 would weigh less. Not much for it other then if you wanted an NA motor with more torque then a high revving inline 4, but wanted the weight distribution behind the shock towers.

Bottom line is people don't do it because exactly the first part of what Neverdone says for reason 5 above all else. You can get basically the same thing done easier/cheaper/faster. 

With that said if your goal was an NA motor, you had a welder to whip up your own mounts, and you wanted an NA motor, but more torque, but low weight that is a viable option.