HybridZ

Rear Suspension Problem R200 in early Z with LS engine

I am new to this website other than a question several years ago. I have a 74 260z (I believe early model) that has been a project for a couple years now. A complete 77 model rear suspension was installed in the car including trailing arms, R200, mustache bar, etc. I used the original 260z springs, but the car sets so high that the universal joints bind and will not let the wheels turn.

I cut off two coils from the springs, and used 240z isolators at the top, but the car only went down an inch....from 6.5" to 5.5", measured from top of tire to lip of fender. By comparison, there are only 3.5" of space at the front fender/wheel.

The drivetrain is installed and I would appreciate anyone making comment who may have answers to help me move forward with this project.

Of course it's sitting too high. 280Z rear struts don't fit 240Zs and vice versa. 280Z rear strut towers are taller by about 2.5", the taller rear strut tops make up about 1" of that. The rest is in the strut. You need 70-74 rear struts, assuming it is in fact an early 260Z.

Edited by rturbo 930

He could also cut the tubes down to 240Z length and move the spring perches, if he wants to keep the hubs and links.  He'd have to find a way to rethread the top of the tube for the gland nut.  Almost in to "coil-over" territory.  He'd need the shorter shock/inserts also.

Thanks for your reply! I have rebuilt the rear suspension with new poly, and new strut cartridges as well...I assume that the new cartridges I purchased for the 77 struts will not fit the shorter 74 struts and that I will have to replace the new cartridges with 240z cartridges as well? thanks again for the reply,  cb

No, he needs new ones. 240Z struts are 51mm, 280Z are 55mm, I believe that's ID, not OD. Pretty sure those are the right numbers. Even if they aren't, the point is the same - they're different and the shock won't fit.

Yeah, he could cut it down, but it would be easier to just get an early strut. Not worth the effort unless you're doing coilovers.

I believe the stub axles will swap over.

First though, we should confirm you have an early 260Z. Does it have smaller bumpers more like a 240Z, or the big 5mph crash bumpers the 280Z had?

Edited by rturbo 930

Thanks! In this case I am not seeing any spacer in the cartridges or the struts. Wow...I read an article that suggested using the entire 200R suspension...what a mistake. Knowledge is power...I have the 260 rear suspension and could have easily made this rebuild using the 260 struts had I known...the pins holding the arms to the struts are a bear, as well as removing the drums. Thanks guys for clarifying this...

No, he needs new ones. 240Z struts are 51mm, 280Z are 55mm, I believe that's ID, not OD. Pretty sure those are the right numbers. Even if they aren't, the point is the same - they're different and the shock won't fit.

No, if they're Tokico's they will fit. It's the gland nut that matters though, for the tube diameter.  You were close.  The point is, as stated, he might be able to make them work, depending on what he has now.

Here's a good thread from another forum describing how Tokico used one shock across multiple platforms.

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/50654-are-tokicos-really-gone/