HybridZ

Techno Toy axle/cv's

rustyoldZ

I'm looking at the TTT complete rear conversion setup and wondering what your thoughts are on them "rebuilding" the stock 240sx donor cv's. Will they be strong enough for autocross with healthy v8 conversion? Sure anything can break, just dont want it on my mind every time I mash the loud pedal coming out of turn!

If you're worried about them breaking, get them from a Q45 which came stock with a V8 and weighed a ton, or from a Z32 turbo. Both made V8 power and weighed more than a 240z.

I wouldn't use any 240sx parts in that conversion as the 240sx didn't even come with an LSD.

T3's webpage says their kit will work with any of the late model Nissan (and infinity) multi-link rear suspensions with a short nose diff.

The kit can be pieced together and you can use a long-nose.

The CVs end up being the weak link, so as mentioned the "strongest" of them is from the Z32TT or certain year Q45s.

Depending on what you want out of the car, the 240sx ones might hold it.

Z32-NA cars did come with a vlsd r200 and 5-bolt CV flanges. While not as strong as the 6-bolt r200 from certain Q45s or z32tt r230, the NA diff is cheap and plentiful where the other doffs are uncommon.

JDM 240sx (180sx) diffs used 5-bolt flanges and are the same length as 240sx axles or early j30 axles: the swapping of which is commonly done by the 240sx crowd.

The 240sx CV joints themselves are the weakest and IIRC aren't a true CV but are a tri-pod style u-joint akin to what's on the 280zxt.

Spline counts vary at the wheel hub, so make sure your hubs match your CVs. I can confirm that Z32NA hub splines are the same spline count as 240sx.

I find the 5-bolt CVs preferable due to how common they are. They're in several infinity models and Nissan models starting in the late 80s and there are versions with the same spline cuts at the z31t 4-bolt CVs used by the community for a long time now. Specifically the front axles from a Nissan D21 truck (forget the years) that are 5-bolt with 27spline center bars.

Sorry I got a little off-topic

My point is, if you're gonna drop that much cash for that set up, why not hunt around for a bit more to find a Q45 or Z32TT rear end? A 1990 to 1996 Q45 isn't exactly super rare. At a Pick'n'pull I think I got an R200 and 4 axles for around 250 bucks.

250 dollars is worth the LSD in my opinion. 

I've read quite a few threads from the high horsepower drag-racing guys, Sunny Z and RebekahsZ in particular.  And CV's (the joints themselves) aren't the weak link.  This topic seems off-topic.

Edit - forgot to say also, the 94 FSM shows the 240SX with a VLSD.  There may be other years.  This guy sounds authoritative - http://www.ka24development.com/vlsd.html

Edited by NewZed

Depends on your definition of healthy for the v8 and if you plan on launching the crap out of the car. A v8 can make 170 to 600+ hp and usually similar if not higher amounts of torque with an automatic the shock load can be a bit less, but if you have a really grippy clutch on a manual, running drag radials or slicks, and running on sticky ground, something probably is going to break.

My understanding is T3 shorten the axles and rebuild the cv joints with replacement pieces. It will handle power fine, just like the stock half shafts can handle power fine, but once you start abusing it or run around at angles bad for the joints it is only a matter of time. Neverdone has a pretty good point, the whole conversion kit is quite pricey, and swapping to bigger splined beefier shafts from a Q45, R33 GTR, Z32TT would be a small consideration to maximize the benefit of the kit. If you have any concerns I would spend the time to acquire the parts from one of those uprated cars in question.

The only practical experience I know if is the guy with the 2jz 240z on smokingtire that said the 240sx axles couldn't handle the power from the 2jz and had to step up to GTR axles. He was at the 400hp mark IIRC.