Photo
- - - - -

[PIC REQUEST] SpeedHut Gauge Sizes (4 vs 4.5 tach/speedo & 2 1/16 vs 2 5/8 center aux gauges)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rickim24

rickim24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted A week ago

Hey guys I'm about ready to pull the trigger and get all 5 gauges replaced on the 240z. I'm getting a lot of mixed information on the sizing of the gauges. I was wondering if we can get a picture thread going here to see what sizes everyone is running and there opinions on them? I heard the 4 inch is pretty close to stock but if you have the tach with shift light, it's so sunken in it makes it a pain to set anything? and same with the center gauges? Any pics will be helpful. I just want to make sure what I'm getting for offset/size of the gauges before I drop close to a grand on them. Thank you in advance.

#2 TimZ

TimZ

OG Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2318 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI

Posted A week ago

Hey guys I'm about ready to pull the trigger and get all 5 gauges replaced on the 240z. I'm getting a lot of mixed information on the sizing of the gauges. I was wondering if we can get a picture thread going here to see what sizes everyone is running and there opinions on them? I heard the 4 inch is pretty close to stock but if you have the tach with shift light, it's so sunken in it makes it a pain to set anything? and same with the center gauges? Any pics will be helpful. I just want to make sure what I'm getting for offset/size of the gauges before I drop close to a grand on them. Thank you in advance.

I just bought the 4.5" gauges and they fit really well.  a small amount of filing/sanding down the ribs on the retaining ring until it was a snug fit inside the stock gauge pod, and then three small pilot holes where the ribs were contacting the pod to insert 3 small screws to hold it in place. Here are some pics of the speedo:

20170105 221405
20170105 221416
20170105 221500

Also, I found out after ordering that they can add a check engine and/or brake warning light to the tach, with logos.  It's not obvious at all, so you have to know to ask.  I just sent my tach back to have these added.

Edited by TimZ, A week ago.

Posted Image

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
-FZ, Joe's Garage

#3 jacky4566

jacky4566

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted A week ago

Also, I found out after ordering that they can add a check engine and/or brake warning light to the tach, with logos.  It's not obvious at all, so you have to know to ask.  I just sent my tach back to have these added.

REALLY? Good to know this. Is this just 2 more red LED? Speedhut has good service but their website is kinda lacking some detail.

The gauge templates also lack dimension which really bugs me when designing custom stuff. 

Still waiting for my dream gauge 4.5in 0-200km/h GPS W/ Fuel. 

#4 TimZ

TimZ

OG Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2318 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI

Posted A week ago

REALLY? Good to know this. Is this just 2 more red LED? Speedhut has good service but their website is kinda lacking some detail.

The gauge templates also lack dimension which really bugs me when designing custom stuff. 

Yes - apparently they can do up to three lights to your specification - I'm having them do a red brake warning light and an amber check engine light.  You can also specify whether it is activated by applying +12V or ground.  

The turn signal/high beam lights for the speedo are obvious on the ordering page, but no so much for these "new" lights.  I just RMA'ed my tach to have the lights added - happily they are willing and able to retrofit (for a fee), but it would have been nice if I had known beforehand.

Posted Image

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
-FZ, Joe's Garage

#5 z mouse

z mouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Locationnew brunswick canada

Posted A week ago

I installed the 4" and 2 5/8" a year ago.That size fit into the original gauge metal housing with a little modification so they bolt properly into the dash pad.The tach and speedo adjust buttons are easily reached with your finger.The smaller gauges are adjusted with a supplied remote cable and button.My turn signals,hi-beam indicator and fuel gauge are on the speedometer face.I also use their remote shift light on top of the dash.These are a top quality product,the only issues i have is, the tach and speedo placement is dark and hard to see in the daytime.Night is ok.I am sending mine back to change face to a lighter color,hope that helps.Also,in daylight,the gauges all have a reflective glare,maybe their optional domed window would help that.

#6 Exposed

Exposed

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Locationwinnipeg

Posted A week ago

4.5" Speedo and Tach, the smallers gauges are 2 5/8s. Will post more pictures of the final product once its done.

2ii96s9.jpg

Edited by Exposed, A week ago.

#7 grannyknot

grannyknot

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted A week ago

To use the 4.5" you have to gut the back of the housing but it looks more stock than the 4"

The 2 5/8" works for the smaller gauges but also really have to gut the can.

Attached File  DSCN0114.JPG   105.83KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCN0115.JPG   94.51KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCN0129.JPG   99.25KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCN0133.JPG   113.12KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCN0143.JPG   128.83KB   0 downloads

#8 rickim24

rickim24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted A week ago

Thanks everyone! Now that Skillard has a 4.5 inch speedhut bracket for speed/tach, i'll probably get that for the mains.

In case you didn't catch it yet, the skillard speedhut bracket:

#9 TeemuM

TeemuM

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted A week ago

Here is how I mounted 4" to original gauge pod. Just used 4 screws to hold gauge in place. 

_full.jpg_full.jpg

Edited by TeemuM, A week ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users