HybridZ

[PIC REQUEST] SpeedHut Gauge Sizes (4 vs 4.5 tach/speedo & 2 1/16 vs 2 5/8 center aux gauges)

rickim24

Hey guys I'm about ready to pull the trigger and get all 5 gauges replaced on the 240z. I'm getting a lot of mixed information on the sizing of the gauges. I was wondering if we can get a picture thread going here to see what sizes everyone is running and there opinions on them? I heard the 4 inch is pretty close to stock but if you have the tach with shift light, it's so sunken in it makes it a pain to set anything? and same with the center gauges? Any pics will be helpful. I just want to make sure what I'm getting for offset/size of the gauges before I drop close to a grand on them. Thank you in advance.

Hey guys I'm about ready to pull the trigger and get all 5 gauges replaced on the 240z. I'm getting a lot of mixed information on the sizing of the gauges. I was wondering if we can get a picture thread going here to see what sizes everyone is running and there opinions on them? I heard the 4 inch is pretty close to stock but if you have the tach with shift light, it's so sunken in it makes it a pain to set anything? and same with the center gauges? Any pics will be helpful. I just want to make sure what I'm getting for offset/size of the gauges before I drop close to a grand on them. Thank you in advance.

I just bought the 4.5" gauges and they fit really well.  a small amount of filing/sanding down the ribs on the retaining ring until it was a snug fit inside the stock gauge pod, and then three small pilot holes where the ribs were contacting the pod to insert 3 small screws to hold it in place. Here are some pics of the speedo:

20170105 221405

20170105 221416

20170105 221500

Also, I found out after ordering that they can add a check engine and/or brake warning light to the tach, with logos.  It's not obvious at all, so you have to know to ask.  I just sent my tach back to have these added.
Edited by TimZ

Also, I found out after ordering that they can add a check engine and/or brake warning light to the tach, with logos.  It's not obvious at all, so you have to know to ask.  I just sent my tach back to have these added.

REALLY? Good to know this. Is this just 2 more red LED? Speedhut has good service but their website is kinda lacking some detail.

The gauge templates also lack dimension which really bugs me when designing custom stuff. 

Still waiting for my dream gauge 4.5in 0-200km/h GPS W/ Fuel. 

REALLY? Good to know this. Is this just 2 more red LED? Speedhut has good service but their website is kinda lacking some detail.

The gauge templates also lack dimension which really bugs me when designing custom stuff. 

Yes - apparently they can do up to three lights to your specification - I'm having them do a red brake warning light and an amber check engine light.  You can also specify whether it is activated by applying +12V or ground.  

The turn signal/high beam lights for the speedo are obvious on the ordering page, but no so much for these "new" lights.  I just RMA'ed my tach to have the lights added - happily they are willing and able to retrofit (for a fee), but it would have been nice if I had known beforehand.

I installed the 4" and 2 5/8" a year ago.That size fit into the original gauge metal housing with a little modification so they bolt properly into the dash pad.The tach and speedo adjust buttons are easily reached with your finger.The smaller gauges are adjusted with a supplied remote cable and button.My turn signals,hi-beam indicator and fuel gauge are on the speedometer face.I also use their remote shift light on top of the dash.These are a top quality product,the only issues i have is, the tach and speedo placement is dark and hard to see in the daytime.Night is ok.I am sending mine back to change face to a lighter color,hope that helps.Also,in daylight,the gauges all have a reflective glare,maybe their optional domed window would help that.

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone! Now that Skillard has a 4.5 inch speedhut bracket for speed/tach, i'll probably get that for the mains.

In case you didn't catch it yet, the skillard speedhut bracket:

Damn! that's super nice. I wasn't planning on doing gauges yet, but since I have my dash out for restoration I might as well just bite the bullet.

I don't mean to thread jack, but for you guys that have installed the smaller gauges, how did you remove the old glass covers and gauge dividers? just cut them out?

EDIT: I ended up ordering the small gauge pods made by MillHouse Houston. They're listed on Skillard's website as well as a link to their facebook page. I'll be sure to take pictures of the install.

Edited by MRGierut

Quite like the look of the dual read 2-5/8" gauge.  I wonder if Speedhut would be able to customize the face to display the numbers on the opposite axis, making them look more like our stock setup.  

Speedhut will do custom faces for $10. You just need to design the gauge yourself from the templates. Easy peasy. 

grannyknot are those 3-3/8" duels? Speedhut doesn't make 2-5/8" duels. 

Edited by jacky4566

Yes - apparently they can do up to three lights to your specification - I'm having them do a red brake warning light and an amber check engine light. You can also specify whether it is activated by applying +12V or ground.

The turn signal/high beam lights for the speedo are obvious on the ordering page, but no so much for these "new" lights. I just RMA'ed my tach to have the lights added - happily they are willing and able to retrofit (for a fee), but it would have been nice if I had known beforehand.

Very cool. Did you order the additional LEDs to be activated by ground or 12v? Does it matter if your car is LS Swapped?

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool. Did you order the additional LEDs to be activated by ground or 12v? Does it matter if your car is LS Swapped?

Mine are activated by ground.

Incidentally, I saw someone mentioning on another post (can't find it now) that they needed to add a relay to get the high beam indicator to work, since it's looking for +12V to illuminate the indicator, and the switch at the column completes the ground, so it's inverted.  A simpler solution is to tap the low beam signal at the steering column (red with black stripe on my 78) instead.  Since it's "inverted" also, it's grounded when the low beams are on and draws a +12V feed through the headlights when highbeams are selected.

Edited by TimZ

Mine are activated by ground.

Incidentally, I saw someone mentioning on another post (can't find it now) that they needed to add a relay to get the high beam indicator to work, since it's looking for +12V to illuminate the indicator, and the switch at the column completes the ground, so it's inverted.  A simpler solution is to tap the low beam signal at the steering column (red with black stripe on my 78) instead.  Since it's "inverted" also, it's grounded when the low beams are on and draws a +12V feed through the headlights when highbeams are selected.

Gotcha.

I ordered a set last week with 2 extra LEDs and I just guessed that they should be activated by ground since every other circuit in the car has the switch on the ground side.  Thanks for the tip about the high beam light!  I wonder if I could just ask Speedhut to have the high beam LED activated by ground?  Do the turn signal and flashers need to be flipped as well?

Gotcha.

I wonder if I could just ask Speedhut to have the high beam LED activated by ground?  Do the turn signal and flashers need to be flipped as well?

I'm pretty sure they can do this if you call and ask but as far as I can tell there is no place to request it on their website.  

The turn signals work fine as is.

Edited by TimZ