HybridZ

L28et swap into 76. My motor has always had a lite bit of a rattle but it has gotten worse to the point it scares me. Noise comes from the top of the front cover. Car runs great. Does this sound like an upper guide or the lower tensioner?

Could be either.  Or something else.  Sounds like it's time to pull the valve cover and look.

By gotten worse I mean it is louder since putting the car away in October. I removed the clutch fan and went to electrics so now I hear everything even clearer which makes it seem louder. People have the valve covers off once a week? For what purpose? U don't have to touch the valves for thousands of miles. Any idea if it is just the guides or the tensioner? I know it isnt valves. They're all gapped fine and the noise is from the front cover. Could the sound be from a failing water pump or the bearing?

Edited by 280znewbie

By gotten worse I mean it is louder since putting the car away in October. I removed the clutch fan and went to electrics so now I hear everything even clearer which makes it seem louder. People have the valve covers off once a week? For what purpose? U don't have to touch the valves for thousands of miles. Any idea if it is just the guides or the tensioner? I know it isnt valves. They're all gapped fine and the noise is from the front cover. Could the sound be from a failing water pump or the bearing?

Again, it could be any of those things.  I can't hear the noise from here and you don't seem to want to look.  Is the chain loose?

I know it isnt valves. They're all gapped fine and the noise is from the front cover. Could the sound be from a failing water pump or the bearing?

Those gaps are usually called lash.  It could be the water pump bearing.  It could also be the AC belt idler bearing.  Could be that your timing chain sprocket bolt is loose.  An anti-rattle spring could have broken.  One of your lash pads might have popped out, that's not common, but it's not uncommon either.  You might have a cam lobe wearing down also.  Could be an exhaust leak, they sound like rattles sometimes.