HybridZ

Have the block need a head - what is the smartest way to go?

turbogrill

Hi,

I am currently building a hot street engine.

I have a F54 block and need a cylinder head and all the other gizmos that comes with it except cam and the other stuff that makes sense to buy new when doing a rebuild (springs, rockers).

What makes the most sense?

Should I buy a head only on ebay/facebook/forums and then buy all the parts (sprocket, lash pads, rockers, springs, valve seats and so on) from MSA/Isky/ebay?

Try and find a 280zx on a junkyard and get all the parts from that car? 

This is the first time I am building an engine so I don't fully understand what I need.

thanks

Get the Rebuild and Modify books by Monroe and Honsowetz.  Define what you're expecting from the engine.  "Hot street" isn't enough.  Make a list of technical details, like expected RPM range, desired power level, type of power, compression ratio, cam specs. expected lifetime, engine management system, etc.  You should be able to write it all up on paper then go find the parts and get the work done.  You're not really ready to buy a head yet.  

Get the Rebuild and Modify books by Monroe and Honsowetz.  Define what you're expecting from the engine.  "Hot street" isn't enough.  Make a list of technical details, like expected RPM range, desired power level, type of power, compression ratio, cam specs. expected lifetime, engine management system, etc.  You should be able to write it all up on paper then go find the parts and get the work done.  You're not really ready to buy a head yet.  

Hi,

I got all those books and I got a clear understanding of what I want, just didn't want to spam you with that. Just curious of what is the smartest way to get a good cylinder head and all the related parts. 

What i want: 

3000-7000 RPM

200+ hp

Doesn't have to be streetable or quiet

Should last several hours of 100% torture

What will get me there:

~290 duration, ~0.500 lift cam

10:1 compression

Good flowing head and exhaust

Details: 

Microsquirt fuel only (maybe timing if I got the time)

Isky 490L or Schneider 290f cam

Lonewolf ported N47 or P79 head (P79 need to be shaved and shimmed towers)

Lonewolf ported intake

F54 block with flat top pistons

MSA Header

2.25" exhaust (or maybe 2") with magnaflow

ACT hot street clutch

Stuff that should be new:  

New Rings

Honed cylinder (don't think overbore is needed, will see)

New valve seals

New rockers

New springs

New rod and main bearings

New waterpump

New oilpump

New gaskets

I think that is it!

(My 280zx has porterfield race pads, cut springs, KYB shocks, MSA camber kit, T3 tension rods, beefy swaybar front, 4 point strut tower brace.  225/50/15 G force rivals S on 8.5". 6 point roll cage. I can take Miatas in the corners but I loose the mustangs in the straights. that needs to change!)

Edited by turbogrill

Many people say that you have to get new rocker arms to use with a new or regorund cam.  But some of the engine boulders say that you'll be fine with used rocker arms if they don't have significant wear.  Either way, if you get a used head with cam and rocker arms you'll have the cores for a reground cam profile.  

If you buy a used bare head, you'll have to buy all of the rocker arms and a camshaft separately, along with valves and lash pads and other missing parts.  Seems like buying a used complete head would be the most economical way to go.  Another option might be to just buy a complete engine or a whole car.  Often, one person's junk car is another person's trove of useful parts.

You'll want to choose between the various head options though, to start.  N42, N47, P79 or P90, assuming you want the bigger ports to start the porting work.  

But, actually, if you're having Lonewolf port your head, what you should really do is work directly with them.  They'll probably have specific expert instructions on what to buy, and what to look for to make sure the head is worth buying.  Read their Stage II and III comments.  http://www.lonewolfperformance.com/services.htm