HybridZ

Neutral Safety Switch/Gen 3 shifter/LS 5.3 engine...how to wire?

I have installed a C5 shifter from 2004 Corvette in a 260z, with 5.3 engine and LS2 intake. Transmission is 4L60E. The wiring harness came with the engine, which is from a 2008 Tahoe. I sent the harness off for modifications, but cannot figure how to tie in the neutral safety switch to the new generic Kwik Wire harness.

The shifter has 2 pairs of wires. When using a battery and test light, it appears that one set is for the light in the shifter. I thought the other set was neutral safety, but could get no activity on the test light when shifting through the gears.

The trans has a stock neutral safety switch and LS wiring attached. I am using a rod instead of cable. Does anyone know of a diagram to follow in connecting the Kwik Wire neutral safety (and reverse light wires) to the modified LS harness? There was no provision allowed for this in the modified LS harness, and I can get no help from the fellow on Ebay who modified the LS harness.

Thanks,

CB

post-36202-0-49068900-1484607696_thumb.jpg

Most probably you would hook the reverse wires from the transmission to the reverse wires in the trans tunnel of the Datsun. At least in a manual car you do. Don't know much about autos but should be the same thing. As far as the neutral switch, you could wire that through a relay to cut ignition power when not in neutral.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same transmission & shifter and didn't bother with the switch.  I am installing Dave Irwin's push button start setup that requires the foot to be on the brake to start, so I just went that route.  My old '67 Chevy short/wide P/U had a 350 with TH400 without any sort of safety switch and I did happen to start it once when still in gear in all the years I owned it and didn't have any issues. Just another option to to make sure you don't start it without your foot on the brake.  Hope that helps.