HybridZ
TimZ

T56 behind an L-series

Well, I sent my Datsun T5 bellhousing off to Quicktime last Friday, so we'll see whether they are willing to make an L-series T56 bellhousing soon...

Good deal Tim!  I'm watching this thread and will follow your lead  (except for the QuickTime bell difference ).

Do you mind revealing your plans on which model  trans you'll be acquiring  ( used / new / etc.)?

Thanks Tim...

TimZ    21

Good deal Tim!  I'm watching this thread and will follow your lead  (except for the QuickTime bell difference ).

Do you mind revealing your plans on which model  trans you'll be acquiring  ( used / new / etc.)?

Thanks Tim...

I'm having Liberty's Gears build me a new GM version T56 magnum, modified with an F-body tailhousing.  I haven't decided just yet whether I'm going to just go with the narrow ratio gearset, or the wide ratio gearset modified with the 5th and 6th from the narrow trans...

Also I checked my T5 before shipping its bellhousing out and it looks like the Quicktime bellhousing mated to the GM T56 should put the pilot shaft in about the same orientation as the Datsun trans (should protrude 0.52" vs the datsun 0.625"), so all I should need to do is get a modified pilot bushing for the crankshaft, instead of a custom input shaft or figuring out how to put a pilot bushing in the flywheel.

gregkring    10

I would be in on one. I was toying with the same idea as you. So would the RB26 work if holes were slotted? I don't care about SFI rating. I also thought it was pretty close and willing to try one out. If I had a T56 ready I would have tried it out.  I actually had one of the RB26 bellhousings in the shopping cart of Summit and backed out at the last minute. I keep holding out for Hokes conversion kit. I am parts manager of the largest Infiniti dealership in the nation so I can get ahold of the CD009 easily. I'd rather use a GM 6 speed as more stuff is available including mechanical speedo.

TimZ    21

I would be in on one. I was toying with the same idea as you. So would the RB26 work if holes were slotted? I don't care about SFI rating. I also thought it was pretty close and willing to try one out. If I had a T56 ready I would have tried it out.  I actually had one of the RB26 bellhousings in the shopping cart of Summit and backed out at the last minute. I keep holding out for Hokes conversion kit. I am parts manager of the largest Infiniti dealership in the nation so I can get ahold of the CD009 easily. I'd rather use a GM 6 speed as more stuff is available including mechanical speedo.

I think you could probably get the engine side to bolt up by slotting the holes, but the clocking of the trans would be all wrong - the RB leans the other way in the engine bay, so if you bolted up the trans to that bellhousing on an L series the shifter would be pointing off to the side...

Hopefully I'll find out in a couple of days whether they want to do this for me - it _might_ be helpful if any other interested parties called Holley's tech line and inquired about the same thing - if they make it a part number, then the rest of you won't have to pay extra for having a one-off made...

Edited by TimZ

TimZ    21

Hopefully I'll find out in a couple of days whether they want to do this for me - it _might_ be helpful if any other interested parties called Holley's tech line and inquired about the same thing - if they make it a part number, then the rest of you won't have to pay extra for having a one-off made...

Ross from Quicktime called me today and they are going to make me a bellhousing, so from this point on they will know how to make one.  However, for the time being it will be treated as a one-off.  If they start getting a lot of requests, then they may make it into a part number...

Edited by TimZ

Ross from Quicktime called me today and they are going to make me a bellhousing, so from this point on they will know how to make one.  However, for the time being it will be treated a a one-off.  If they start getting a lot of requests, then he may make it into a part number...

Well that's great news for the L6 crowd!!  I can't hardly wait to put a T56 Magnum behind my RB

TimZ    21

Well thanks for taking the bullet for us, nice to know there is an option for handling power with say Derek's head and a bit of boost.

Not a problem.

BTW - Ross at Quicktime mentioned that they just happen to be doing a run of the RB bellhousings right now, so it's easy for them to come up with a donor bell - If anyone was also thinking of doing this, now is a good time...

Edited by TimZ

clear2me    0

Hello Tim

Why you need used 6 speed transmission on L28 ?

I see on Google Z32 and rb25det strong transmissions

Really i am looking for strong transmission to used on my 280zx

I try to used z32 buy its not fit without cutting on my car

Thank you

510six    2

https://s27.postimg.org/4xh8ww47n/10_K_3_PLATE.jpg

https://s24.postimg.org/488m26igl/t56_L.jpg

The reason a T56 was chosen for my application was that I needed a transmission that could take the shock load of drag strip launches with a large shot of N20 on slicks and be freeway driven. The transmission is from a 98 F body , a Rockland Standard gear drag kit was later installed the input shaft bearing was located in the flywheel Honda style. It is pretty amazing how tough the T56 transmission is even in stock form , provided the urge to speed shift is resisted. 

Mike Mileski    18

I don't know how much you guys are paying for tailshaft mods, but Sikky Manufacturing makes a T-56 shifter extension that is really high quality (see attached or their website). I think it comes in 3 different lengths, 4", 7" and 9".

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

post-116-0-38717500-1490293170_thumb.jpg

TimZ    21
Posted (edited)

Okay - sorry it's taken me a while to get back around to this - life has a way of getting in the way!

So Quicktime did get me the bellhousing - and accidentally forgot to drill the engine side flange for the L-series and not the RB.  As I mentioned before I didn't even get a chance to look at it for about a month, but they took care of it no questions asked.  It did cause some extra delays, though.  The fixed bellhousing came out really nice and fits perfectly.

I ended up going with a close ratio T56 Magnum from Liberty's gears, modified with an F-body tailhousing - here's a pic of it, next to my old GForce T5:

20170226 110720

And one with the bellhousing attached:

20170520 135548

I don't know how much you guys are paying for tailshaft mods, but Sikky Manufacturing makes a T-56 shifter extension that is really high quality (see attached or their website). I think it comes in 3 different lengths, 4", 7" and 9".

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

I ended up going with the F-body tailhousing due to fears that a shifter like the one mentioned above would limit how high the trans could sit in the tunnel.  As it turns out it _probably_ would have been okay.

I ended up using an MGW F-body shifter - with its adapter block rotated 90 degrees it actually locates the center of the shifter about an inch forward which put it pretty much right where the T5 shifter used to be, at least longitudinally.  One thing I didn't count on was that the shifter housing on the F-body tail is offset a bit left from center:

20170628 220719

This ended up working out okay, but it was really close to interfering with the center console hole location that I had been using with the T5.

I used a McLeod slip on hydraulic TOB:

20170520 161304

As you can see, the T56 is quite a bit larger than the T5 and I had to make some accommodations - the old mounting ears had to be cut out, as the T56 would not fit between them, and I had to do a bit of hammering to make sure that everything would clear:

20170520 161320

This of course left me needing a new rear crossmember - Ausin Hoke was gracious enough to rush me one of his first 280Z T56 crossmembers.  Here's a few more pics with everything installed:

20170612 202624

20170612 202600

20170612 180059

And the final product (all new interior too!)

20170702 200059

Had it out today for it's fist long drive and I'm really happy with this trans so far.  The MGW shifter along with the mods that Liberty's did resulted in the shifts being really precise and quick.  Also the 0.62 6th gear is pulling just fine above ~45mph with my supposedly "undriveable" low compression 3 liter. :mrgreen:

Edited by TimZ

TimZ    21
Posted (edited)

What is your 5th gear ratio?

Did you index the bellhousing to your crank with a dial indicator? My LS bellhousing from QT was off by a lot and I had to use indexing dowls to get it straight.

It's the close ratio trans, so 5th gear is 0.8

Actually I did not index the bell - probably should have in retrospect, but they had spent a lot of time CMM-ing my T5 bell, so I think it probably received more scrutiny than usual.  Time will tell, but it went together with no issues and it's dead quiet in every gear so far...

Edited by TimZ

Geno750    0
Posted (edited)

Very nice. I've been going at about the same pace (probably slower). I still need to sort the TOB situation. Your pictures will save me some time though. I went with a TR6060 from a Ford XR6 falcon. They seemed to come with the most ideal gear ratios for my engine (1JZ). 3.36, 2.07, 1.35, 1.00, 0.71, 0.57.

fA0lQEd.jpg

Edited by Geno750