HybridZ

5spd front cover lip seal

Enginerd81

I am refreshing the seals/gaskets on my trans and when I pulled the lip seal out of the front cover it appeared to be in backwards. I've worked with reciprocating pumps for many years and the lip of the seal always points towards the fluid you want to keep in. When I pulled the seal out the lip of the seal was pointing towards the engine.

Can someone confirm which direction is correct? Pictures show both sides of seal.

Thanks,

Bryan

post-40961-0-79476300-1485301685_thumb.jpg

post-40961-0-54280000-1485301706_thumb.jpg

I believe you can still get an oem seal from Nissan. It has an obvious taper to it to match the taper of the main shaft. I had a Timken seal which didn't look quite right so I ordered oem if I remember right.

I believe your second photo is the correct way. Like I said put it in so the taper is on the same side of the tapered mainshaft.

I believe you can still get an oem seal from Nissan. It has an obvious taper to it to match the taper of the main shaft. I had a Timken seal which didn't look quite right so I ordered oem if I remember right.

I believe your second photo is the correct way. Like I said put it in so the taper is on the same side of the tapered mainshaft.

the 2nd photo is how the last one came out. I didn't consider there being a taper that the seal actually mated up with.

Any other votes for 2nd photo?

B.

I think that you're confusing inside and outside, in the pictures.  Both pictures are of the inside, looking out.  Through that hole, away from you, is the outside world. The lips should be pointing in, or at you.  As they are in the first picture.  The picture is of the front cover, not the transmission.

If you're using a phone you probably can barely tell what you're looking at.

Edited by NewZed

For the record, there had been posts from another guy from Australia in this thread.  His reasoning was a bit skewed and he wanted to delete the contents of a post or two.  Not a big deal and it made the thread entertaining.  But now it looks like the OP and me are having some sort of weird disjointed conversation.

A moderator must have granted a favor to the guy?  There is no Delete button in the post box.  Are we just disappearing things now?  It really screws up the thread.

Nothing wrong with disappearing things if they're totally disconnected.  But my comments about looking at the pictures wrong were directed at the guy who's missing, not the two other guys here.  If you make a mistake on a forum you're not supposed to get do-overs.  It keeps people honest and focused.  It's one of the great things about the internet.

Edited by NewZed

The 2nd photo still makes the most sense to me. You can see the oil wiping ridges which would be on the gear case side where the oil is. I've got a bad habit of throwing old seals and parts out which I regret, as no future reference since my memory is crap. :unsure:

I don't know what make of seal is pictured but is it possible that if it's aftermarket it is designed a different way ? I do remember a big difference in the shape of an oem seal vs aftermarket. 

Edited by BJSZED

Hi, First picture. Listen to NewZed, he is correct.

Opps!!!  I stand corrected. Newzed is spot on. My brain wasn't switched on.  ( I could say being from a land down under that I was looking at everything in reverse).LOL.

I will delete my first confusing post.

David.

Posts un hidden.  I was just removing guessing post. Did not mean to confuse anyone  :)

Thanks RB.  Didn't mean to sound so snippy.

BJSZED, I think that the factory drawing in Post #4 tells the story.  The thick black represents the rubber of the seal.  You can see the lips pointing back, or "in".  They even labeled "Front" for us, with a big arrow.  It must have been confusing at the time because they wouldn't waste space on it if it was obvious.