HybridZ

Costs involved in rebuilding cylinder head

VitaminZ

Just trying to get a better understanding of what I should be paying for cylinder head work . ie , port / polish , valve job with stock size valves ,bowl cleanup . cam installation . I already have SS valves , cam springs and retainers .

I know different shops charge different prices , but what would a shop like Rebello charge average for this work , for a street car just trying to get more flow out of the head , not trying to get to 9 or 10k rpm . Max rpm would be around 7500.

In Canada theres a shortage of shops that deal with these motors and I feel the one shop that does overcharge quite a bit.

any feedback on your own builds and costs would be greatly appreciated .

Edited by VitaminZ

I assume your talking about whitehead?  I have never used them myself. I live just east of you in Newcastle. This is what the previous owner paid back in 2012 to have a head totally rebuilt. On another note, they rebuilt the head on a totally worn out head. I actually tossed that entire motor in the bin because no one wanted it, rebuilt head and all.

20170128_215726_zpsnng3h2f4.jpg?t=148557

Edited by Ryan Merrill

I was in for $3400 Canadian for port polish, new guides and seats. I provided cam, valves springs and rocker arms. They CC'd the chambers and equaled them out. Id say that was high.

When I called Rebello, he quoted $2000US for similar work but he included all the parts. Id go with them next time.

I assume your talking about whitehead? I have never used them myself. I live just east of you in Newcastle. This is what the previous owner paid back in 2012 to have a head totally rebuilt. On another note, they rebuilt the head on a totally worn out head. I actually tossed that entire motor in the bin because no one wanted it, rebuilt head and all.

20170128_215726_zpsnng3h2f4.jpg?t=148557

Yeh that's who I'm speaking of . Well that's not good news as that's what they plan on doing to mine , using a core head they have then I swap out heads when it's done. Edited by VitaminZ

I had Whiteheads supply and install bigger intake, exhaust valves, guides and seats into an early e88 head that I supplied. They had to do some aluminum repair, resurfaced the head. No porting or polishing.

I cant remember the exact cost but was in the $1300.00 to $1500.00 tax included, Canadian. Quality of the work was #1, no issues. Was it pricey, maybe? I would imagine labour hours add up fast and you get what you pay for.

Edited by BJSZED

If you are looking for port work, plan on 2000$ for a quality job.

Last I called Dave Rebello, he quoted 600 bucks for porting ONLY, no rebuild, no surfacing, no valve job, no parts. I don't know if that still stands or not.

I had Whiteheads supply and install bigger intake, exhaust valves, guides and seats into an early e88 head that I supplied. They had to do some aluminum repair, resurfaced the head. No porting or polishing.

I cant remember the exact cost but was in the $1300.00 to $1500.00 tax included, Canadian. Quality of the work was #1, no issues. Was it pricey, maybe? I would imagine labour hours add up fast and you get what you pay for.

I definitely have no issue paying for quality work . I'm just trying to find out what everyone else is paying to have work done on theirs as $1800CAD for port and polish seems a bit much to me which I was quoted , but is it ?

They did build my 3.0L bottom end which has performed perfectly without any issues.

My problem is I've spoke to a few other reputable shops who port /polish /rebuild heads and they have quoted me less than half that price including reassembly , and it's not just one shop I spoke to. Am I missing something here ?

If you are looking for port work, plan on 2000$ for a quality job.

Last I called Dave Rebello, he quoted 600 bucks for porting ONLY, no rebuild, no surfacing, no valve job, no parts. I don't know if that still stands or not.

Thanks , that's around what Ive being quoted for port/polish / valve job /assembly

I was in for $3400 Canadian for port polish, new guides and seats. I provided cam, valves springs and rocker arms. They CC'd the chambers and equaled them out. Id say that was high.

When I called Rebello, he quoted $2000US for similar work but he included all the parts. Id go with them next time.

Yeah that is a lot as I'm quoted $2400CAD for the same as you and I'm providing the cam and the valves .

By the way were you happy with the head work once you drove the car after ?

That rebello option seems prettt good .