HybridZ

Parking Brake Adjustment

Hey guys, I've searched around a bit but can't really find much info on this.

I've recently converted to the MM Extreme rear disk kit and it's moved the parking brake lever a bit closer than factory.  The result is even with the parking brake handle all the way up there is no engagement.

I hopped under the car and found a long adjustment rod, I tightened that down all the way and now with the handle all the way up there is some engagement but I am still able to turn the rear wheels by hand.

I've heard mention of adjusting the second rod (the one that connects to the equalizer) but I can't see any nut or bolt head on it to adjust like I did with the lower one.  It's hard to see up there from under the car but I couldn't find anywhere to tighten up the slack.

Does anyone know how to adjust that upper rod?

You can swap the left and right cable after the equalizer and the first retaining tabs if memory serves, basically shorten the cable by making it run a longer route.

Alternatively you can take the long rod out and put more threads on it. 

The upper one can technically be adjusted, but it is more so there to release the equalizer.

IMG_6841_0c69eaa8-5ab5-449d-b553-0390036

Not much thread there to play with to start as well.

I was working on my parking brake linkage the other day, and it looks like you should be able to put a spacer (or washers) on the long linkage...which would have the effect of "shortening" the rod, thereby tightening the system and hopefully giving you the capability to fully engage the parking brake.  Good luck with it.

UPDATE:

Okay so I've been able to swap the parking brake cables (basically I unbolted them from the rubber hangers and switched the sides) and now when I pull the e-brake even with very little adjustment on the bottom adjuster both sides grab tight!

However I have ran into an issue, the e-brake cable that now goes from the passenger side to the drivers side caliper is too short.  The cable itself is long enough but the sheathing that's meant to clip into the caliper is about an inch to short to connect properly.  Anyone know how to remedy this?  If I just disconnect from the hanger and properly connect it to the caliper then the cable run itself is too short and it doesn't engage properly.

I wonder 

Did you not get the little adapter piece? 

240Z Rear Disk Brake Conversion

Edit: oops you said extreme, the caliper and rotor look different to what I recalled. Some pictures might help to tell what you are exactly describing for this particular situation. 

Edited by seattlejester

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I followed the instructions on the link Miles posted and found it worked well!  The parking brake handle goes up to about 45 degrees and that locks the rear wheels up well enough to torque on the wheels.  It's still not super strong but definitely good enough to be used as a parking brake.