- - - - -

ZCD Rip Off of Bad Dog Frame Rails Design

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#21 NewZed

NewZed
  • LocationWashington County, Oregon

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

Honestly I don't know what the fuss is about. It's a piece of steel and its cheaper. A little competition is exactly what the Z car community needs, or are you guys fine with paying an ever increasing premium for parts for your Z? Doesn't take a genius to make a piece of metal the shape of a rectangle...

You joined the forum just to be contrary? Not good.

Edited by NewZed, 05 February 2017 - 04:01 PM.

#22 LanceVance

LanceVance

There are some who call me... Tim?

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, Texas

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

Competition can be a good thing when the customer base is large enough. The Z community is not only small, but notoriously low budget.

Look how many great companies went out of business in the years after the Fast & the Furious franchise took off. Cheaper parts, produced by piggybacking off the R&D of legitimate brands hurt the community as a whole.
2011 Subaru Impreza STI Limited Sedan - Daily Driver
1973 Datsun 240z - Running tripples, getting the L28ET!
1975 Datsun 620 Pickup - Future SR20/Ratrod project

#23 seattlejester

seattlejester
  • LocationBellevue, WASHINGTON

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:15 PM

That is far from a rectangle...bad form mate.

#24 madkaw

madkaw
  • LocationBloomington, Indiana

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:17 PM

Oh boy :-0
Steve,
9/71 240z. 2.4 -.40 over, balanced. E-88 Bigger SS valves, stage 2, 6x2 header, true dual exhaust. BW t-5 , STI LSD 3.90- Megasquirt 3 , N42 intake , 60mm TB , 270cc injectors

#25 grannyknot

grannyknot
  • LocationOntario

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:30 AM

Honestly I don't know what the fuss is about. It's a piece of steel and its cheaper. A little competition is exactly what the Z car community needs, or are you guys fine with paying an ever increasing premium for parts for your Z? Doesn't take a genius to make a piece of metal the shape of a rectangle...

Hey zboi, your name wouldn't happen to be Ryan would it? :nono:

#26 gnosez

gnosez
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

Just to compare apples to pears the prices shown on Bad Dog include shipping which it turns out actually makes them cheaper in total cost.

I do agree that prices are increasing for parts, even used ones, but so is the value of our Zs. When I go looking for something I need I've experienced sticker shock more than once. If I have a part and am unsure how to price it I look around and most times I can't bring myself to sell something for what others are asking. It just seems way too much to me.

Edited by gnosez, 06 February 2017 - 12:09 PM.

"you're only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely"

#27 JMortensen

JMortensen
  • LocationSeattle area, WA

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

Remember that time a guy made an AL mustache bar, posted it here, and then AZC suddenly made one? I do... 

Not saying it's right, but if you make your product available and don't patent it (patenting doesn't make sense with such a small market), then this sort of thing is liable to happen. FWIW, Bad Dog took great care of me and when I needed some extra pieces they made it happen. Loyal Bad Dog customer here...

Edited by JMortensen, 06 February 2017 - 11:26 AM.

Jon Mortensen, owner/operator www.petdoorstore.com

#28 NewZed

NewZed

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:51 AM

Looks like ZCD is just going to lay low and hope people forget.  If he's reading, he should remember Datsun Parts LLC, fairly recently renamed California Datsun, trying to hide his past.  And Senza Pari, disappeared entirely.   Just not a good crowd to be a part of.  There will still be customers out there, like zboi, if that's the kind he wants.  But it could be so much better.

Respond to the issue at least.  It's just one part.

#29 zcardepot.com

zcardepot.com
  • LocationMO

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:55 AM

Not trying to hide anything here at Zcardepot.  Call or email anytime as we do not get to the forums that often.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zcardepot does sell 240Z frame rails that are not made by Bad Dog.  The pictures we have on our website are not of Bad Dog products.  The products do look similar and anyone is welcome to come by the warehouse for inspection of our products.   

When offering a product we look at what is available, taking the price and quality into account and decide what product to offer based on our preference.  

Zcardepot does not sell Bad Dog products at this time as they decided not to sell to us.

Zcardepot does not relabel other manufacturers products or try to repackage them as something they are not.

Zcardepot goes to great efforts to find suppliers of hard to find Z car parts and we purchase parts from all over the world.  Zcardepot strives to offer a product of good value to the customer, these products may be of lesser or greater quality than our competitor's.

If you receive a product from Zcardepot that you are not satisfied with for any reason you can return it for a refund.  

Please feel free to contact us with any questions by email or phone.

email: sales@zcardepot.com

Phone:  844-865-2473

Zcardepot.com

#30 NewZed

NewZed

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

Seems like maybe you missed the main question - did you buy a set of Bad Dog rails and copy his design?  If not, how is your design different from his?  

That's what people want to know.

Edit - p.s. sent you another message which should go to your email account.  Which would be checked at least daily, I assume.

Edit 2 - I've been referring people to your business.  So, I want to know what kind of business it is.  Another reason for my activity here.  I'm not just rousing the rabble for no reason (no offense to the rabble).

To be clear, we (at least me) are just looking for the true facts of what's going on here.  In today's recent environment, with all of the attempts to create alternative, false realities, it's important that we can at least trust our small, local world.

Edited by NewZed, 07 February 2017 - 11:08 AM.

#31 zcardepot.com

zcardepot.com
  • LocationMO

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

Zcardepot did purchase Bad Dog rails as well as other companies.  Typical practice to see what is out there on the market  to try and get the best value.  We did not copy Bad Dog products.  Zcardepot did not design or manufactur any frame rails.  We went with another brand than Bad Dog as it is a very similar product that offered us a better value.  

We purchase 1000's of parts from close to 100 different companies and many of the products are very similar to other manufacturers or suppliers on the market.  Our intention is not to mislead or cheat anyone.  

Did the company that we buy from copy Bad Dog products or any other companies?  We do not know for certain. 

Zcardepot.com

#32 ryant67

ryant67
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

Never mind...

Edited by ryant67, 07 February 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#33 NewZed

NewZed

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

Did the company that we buy from copy Bad Dog products or any other companies?  We do not know for certain. 

Zcardepot.com

Well ZCD, if it's not clear, you're being called at best disingenuous and devious, and at worst, a thief.  So exposing the name of the company you buy from would be more than reasonable.  Buying from a thief is really no different than being the thief.  It's actually braver to be the thief.  And vice-versa.

You still seem to be hiding behind words and undisclosed actions.  You bought a set of Bad Dog's frame rails.  He described the uniqueness of his design.  You have your new rails and his in hand.  Are they identical?  Are you buying rails from somebody who stole his design?  Or did you give your manufacturer the Bad Dog rails and ask for them to be copied?  Since you had both in hand is it really reasonable to think that you didn't notice that they were identical?

It's time to stop beating around the bush.  You're coming off as a dishonest person.  Personally, I have no problem with calling a persona a liar if everything they say seems to be a lie.  

Take a picture of your new products next to Bad Dog's.  You should still have his unless you sold them as one of yours.

Edit - just sent ZCD a personal message.  4:12 pm PST 2/7/17

Edited by NewZed, 07 February 2017 - 04:13 PM.

#34 rturbo 930

rturbo 930
  • LocationNJ

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

Zcardepot did purchase Bad Dog rails as well as other companies. 

What other company makes such a product for the S30 chassis? The Z community is small, so I think we'd know about it.

We went with another brand than Bad Dog as it is a very similar product that offered us a better value. 

What brand? By very similar do you mean identical?

Owen | 1976 280Z | 1986 Jetta | 1953 CJ3B

A car is a hole in the air, suspended there by four rubber doughnuts which you can not eat.
Into this hole, you throw money, which you will never see again.

Buy my stuff: CLICK HERE

#35 ryant67

ryant67
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

The greatest concern I have with developments such as this is that it serves to discourage people from creating/developing new parts for these cars.

This is a small community with a limited market, so why should anyone bother making new parts if another seller can buy it, pay someone else to make it for less, and sell it themselves without carrying any of the R&D expense?

Not illegal, buy very shady. Who will be next to have this happen to them? Zedd Findings with their floor pans? Ron Tyler with his differential mount? Skillard with his door panels? I certainly hope not!

But hey, it's okay since it wasn't US that stole the design and reproduced it...

#36 JMortensen

JMortensen
  • LocationSeattle area, WA

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

Ron put his design up and said "Go for it!" Just FYI.

Jon Mortensen, owner/operator www.petdoorstore.com

#37 Gholsie

Gholsie
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

Hey guys, I don't come on here much but wanted to let you know that I spoke to both gents.  I think the result is positive.

http://www.classiczc...il-sheet-metal/

Mike

#38 NewZed

NewZed

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

Read your post on the locked thread at CZCC.  Doesn't seem like that's the real story.  When ZCD replies we might find out what really happened.  The whole point of this thread is about honesty.  Arbitrating or moderating is one thing, but spinning the facts to make everything rosy isn't right, and runs counter to the point.  We've got stories built on stories happening here.

Good that things were made right from a business standpoint but the alternative facts proposed aren't really appropriate.  Not even necessary, you could have just reported the end result.  Disappointing to see what looks like "fake news" on the CZCC site.

#39 rturbo 930

rturbo 930
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

That's good that ZCD has decided to pull the product, IMO that was the right move. It's also good because ZCD has a few things I'd like to purchase, and I don't buy from thieves :)

Of course, this is assuming the story is true, but dragging the truth out of someone can be nearly impossible.

Edited by rturbo 930, 08 February 2017 - 05:37 PM.

Owen | 1976 280Z | 1986 Jetta | 1953 CJ3B

A car is a hole in the air, suspended there by four rubber doughnuts which you can not eat.
Into this hole, you throw money, which you will never see again.

Buy my stuff: CLICK HERE

#40 NewZed

NewZed

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:43 PM

I need to chime in one last time.  The reason the story on CZCC is disappointing is because it shifts the "dishonesty" to Bad Dog.  The spinning of the story makes what Bad Dog said "wrong" and what ZCD said "right".  ZCD wins the moral high ground.  That's not right.  I can't imagine that Bad Dog made up the timeline of events, just to get ZCD to stop making frame rails. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users