HybridZ

SOLD - 1971 240Z Series 1 project, Western PA

mditt8671

I hate to do this, but honestly I just don't have the time to finish this. I'm moving to a new house in the next month or two and this can't go with me.

I have a 1971 240z, the plate says Dec 1970. It has all the Series 1 criteria. The SBC V8 conversion seems to be positioned halfway between the scarab and JTR position. It has a 4 speed Muncie transmission.

I bought this several years ago from a forum member in NYC. It was supposed to be almost road ready... and I'm sure it ran... but it wasn't exactly as he promised. I bought it anyways since I had driven the 10 hours to get it, and decided to fix the few things that needed fixed. Of course that turned into a "while I'm down this far, I might as well do _____ too." Long story short, it's disassembled about as far as it needs to be for a good, solid rebuild. My next step in the project was to have it sandblasted and start putting it back together.

The "issues": The floor pans need replaced. The frame rails need a patch welded on at the TC plates. It's already cleaned up, ready to go there. The rear driver's side fender was replaced by a previous owner, but needs to be stitched to the fender well liner for true unibody safety. Luckily, the chassis hasn't been twisted.

The good news is that I have assembled virtually everything that needs bought to make it great again. The roof has a sunroof; if you don't like that, I have two complete, dent free roofs that will go with it. Just remove the spotwelds and the solder, and replace it. I bought replacement carpet, not brand new but in good shape by someone parting it out. I have Zedd Findings floorpans and rails for both sides. I have the vintage wood grain 240z steering wheel, the wooden 4 speed shift knob, a speaker enclosure for the back, TWO fuel tanks (they both need electrolysis work/restored, and hoses replaced of course), a steel hood plus the fiberglass hood that came with it, a great condition rear taillight panel (the one on it was chrome), a spare windshield (the original is still fine though), various small parts to make it more Series-1 correct (I even bought the correct ash tray... ouch). There were speakers cut into the door panels, I bought good condition replacement panels to make that right. The engine is out, and on a stand because I wanted to sandblast the engine well so it would paint-match the rest. You can even have the engine stand. I never got to start it, I was going to have some work done to increase the horsepower. Vortex headers. Chromed Edelbrock manifold. I had taken out the R180 rear, and have a R200 sitting beside it. I didn't get far enough to make sure I absolutely have everything I need for the R200 conversion; either grab a cheap R180 and revert it, or follow through with the R200 conversion. There are more comfortable seats that were in it, but I got some vintage seats as well and was planning on having them recovered. I have original seat mounts to cut from a junked car, and had done electrolysis rust removal on them. They are in pretty good shape, but one or two might need some buildup/reinforcement. No rust under the battery tray. The original battery tray was somewhat rusted, but I have one in really good shape that I rescued from a junker. Quarter panel window plastics, dash cover... basically, anything that was cracked or damaged inside or out I scoured ebay and the classifieds and bought the parts to fix it right.

There's a lot of stuff, and I'm sure I'm missing a lot more and will add on as I look around and discover more stuff.

I really don't want to part this out and sell bits and pieces. This is almost everything you need to get this all back together and on the road except for paint, a welder, and some time. So I'd like to sell it to someone who can continue that.

I know it's really hard to find a not-rusted out Z on the east coast. This started out on the west coast and was brought out here a few years before I bought it, so it's survived well. I have a clean PA title for it. I have some pics from when I got it, and it's been in my garage ever since. The front end is disassembled in preparation from complete sandblasting, and everything is packed in pretty tight in my garage stall... but if there's anything in particular you want to see, and you're seriously interested, I'll be glad to get you some pics.

That's all I can think of right now... $5k will get you everything you need to rolling with the fun part of a car project... just putting it back together again. Located about an hour north of Pittsburgh PA.

Edited by mditt8671

Still available... this is a solid chassis and needs very little metalwork... a rare find on the east coast. PM me if you think you might be interested and let's make a deal.

I found the list of parts that I've gathered to finish the car. All will go with it. If something was cracked or worn, I bought original parts in much better condition when they became available. Everything that follows is a list of my purchases since I originally bought the car:

Driver's side carpet, shock caps
Inspection lids (original)
Series 1 Ash Tray
Upper left and bottom chrome trim pieces for rear hatch
Inspection lids, louvered
Series 1 Console coin holder
Rear taillight panel surround to replace the chrome aftermarket one
Left side interior quarter panel trim (Included right side panel as well, not needed).
Edelbrock 71164 Performer RPM Vortec Intake Manifold, ajusa.com, $256.52 shipped, brand new.
Desert Z Rear Disc Brake Conversion
MSD Ignition 8360 Distributor 
Bad Dog Parts 240Z Frame Rails
Zedd Findings floor pans 
POR-15 Engine Enamel, 1 pint, Chevy Orange 
Rear Speaker Panel 
Dash cover
Wiper Nuts
(4) marker lights, hybridZ.org
R200 3.54 differential, R200 mustache bar, 280Z driveshaft, stub shafts, transverse link
Duplicolor Graphite Wheel Coating paint HWP102 (this is an almost exact match for the original paint on the taillight surrounds)
Replacement roofs (2)... if you want to delete the sunroof
Steel hood to replace fiberglass one
Extra original windshield
Headliner
Assorted carpet pieces
240Z steering wheel from 1973 car with pad
L/R door skins in great shape
Edited by mditt8671

I hate to do this, but honestly I just don't have the time to finish this. I'm moving to a new house in the next month or two and this can't go with me.

I have a 1971 240z, the plate says Dec 1970. It has all the Series 1 criteria. The SBC V8 conversion seems to be positioned halfway between the scarab and JTR position. It has a 4 speed Muncie transmission.

I bought this several years ago from a forum member in NYC. It was supposed to be almost road ready... and I'm sure it ran... but it wasn't exactly as he promised. I bought it anyways since I had driven the 10 hours to get it, and decided to fix the few things that needed fixed. Of course that turned into a "while I'm down this far, I might as well do _____ too." Long story short, it's disassembled about as far as it needs to be for a good, solid rebuild. My next step in the project was to have it sandblasted and start putting it back together.

The "issues": The floor pans need replaced. The frame rails need a patch welded on at the TC plates. It's already cleaned up, ready to go there. The rear driver's side fender was replaced by a previous owner, but needs to be stitched to the fender well liner for true unibody safety. Luckily, the chassis hasn't been twisted.

The good news is that I have assembled virtually everything that needs bought to make it great again. The roof has a sunroof; if you don't like that, I have two complete, dent free roofs that will go with it. Just remove the spotwelds and the solder, and replace it. I bought replacement carpet, not brand new but in good shape by someone parting it out. I have Zedd Findings floorpans and rails for both sides. I have the vintage wood grain 240z steering wheel, the wooden 4 speed shift knob, a speaker enclosure for the back, TWO fuel tanks (they both need electrolysis work/restored, and hoses replaced of course), a steel hood plus the fiberglass hood that came with it, a great condition rear taillight panel (the one on it was chrome), a spare windshield (the original is still fine though), various small parts to make it more Series-1 correct (I even bought the correct ash tray... ouch). There were speakers cut into the door panels, I bought good condition replacement panels to make that right. The engine is out, and on a stand because I wanted to sandblast the engine well so it would paint-match the rest. You can even have the engine stand. I never got to start it, I was going to have some work done to increase the horsepower. Vortex headers. Chromed Edelbrock manifold. I had taken out the R180 rear, and have a R200 sitting beside it. I didn't get far enough to make sure I absolutely have everything I need for the R200 conversion; either grab a cheap R180 and revert it, or follow through with the R200 conversion. There are more comfortable seats that were in it, but I got some vintage seats as well and was planning on having them recovered. I have original seat mounts to cut from a junked car, and had done electrolysis rust removal on them. They are in pretty good shape, but one or two might need some buildup/reinforcement. No rust under the battery tray. The original battery tray was somewhat rusted, but I have one in really good shape that I rescued from a junker. Quarter panel window plastics, dash cover... basically, anything that was cracked or damaged inside or out I scoured ebay and the classifieds and bought the parts to fix it right.

There's a lot of stuff, and I'm sure I'm missing a lot more and will add on as I look around and discover more stuff.

I really don't want to part this out and sell bits and pieces. This is almost everything you need to get this all back together and on the road except for paint, a welder, and some time. So I'd like to sell it to someone who can continue that.

I know it's really hard to find a not-rusted out Z on the east coast. This started out on the west coast and was brought out here a few years before I bought it, so it's survived well. I have a clean PA title for it. I have some pics from when I got it, and it's been in my garage ever since. The front end is disassembled in preparation from complete sandblasting, and everything is packed in pretty tight in my garage stall... but if there's anything in particular you want to see, and you're seriously interested, I'll be glad to get you some pics.

That's all I can think of right now... $5k will get you everything you need to rolling with the fun part of a car project... just putting it back together again. Located about an hour north of Pittsburgh PA.

Can you send some pics? pm me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...