HybridZ

240z S12W caliper/rotor rub!

I'm putting together my S12W front calipers set up together and noticed the inside of the caliper presses against the rotor side wall not allowing the rotor to spin freely and sitting in the middle as it should. I purchased the techno toy hub spacers for the S12W Toyota caliper conversion so I'm sure it should be aligned correctly. I disassembled the hub and spacer and bearings and redid the reassembly to make sure nothing was off and the problem still persisted. It's as if I need to add spacers between the caliper and where it bolts up to the spindle. To get it centered. But I'm sure I shouldn't be doing this as that's the point of the hub spacer!... Anyone run into this problem during their set up assembly?

post-2009-0-58591100-1486267634_thumb.jpg

There are 2 thickness of spacers depending if it is a 240z or a 280z front hub.

Don't remember the thickness for them.

ritrebor

Yep.

Techno Toy sells sells the spacers for the 240Z and 280Z. He may have bought the wrong spacer.

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/z-rotor-spacers-s12w-4-piston-toyota-caliper-conversion

Yep.

Techno Toy sells sells the spacers for the 240Z and 280Z. He may have bought the wrong spacer.

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/z-rotor-spacers-s12w-4-piston-toyota-caliper-conversion

Yeah bro i looked up images of the two ad I can't find measurements of the differences between the two but the fitment is definitely off. I ordered the 240z ones and they came in and look really thick. I contacted techno toy for information in differences in hopes of an exchange. Definitely no filing would fix this I'd need like 2 or 3 spacers between the caliper and spindle for it to be centered (ballpark)

See post #12 in the link I provided above.

The 240Z MM spacer I bought from Ross is 17.09mm thick (0.673in)

Buy a digital caliper and measure the thickness of the spacer you have and then post what you get. Harbor Freight has the caliper for less than $30.

If it is thinner than  17.09mm  (0.673in) then you have the wrong spacer.

post-178-0-83479300-1486362528_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

See post #12 in the link I provided above.

The 240Z MM spacer I bought from Ross is 17.09mm thick (0.673in)

Buy a digital caliper and measure the thickness of the spacer you have and then post what you get. Harbor Freight has the caliper for less than $30.

If it is thinner than 17.09mm (0.673in) then you have the wrong spacer.

Doing thst first thing tomorrow miles. I'll post up new pictures and measurements.

Alright so after measuring the spacer with the digital caliper the spacer is 20.22mm(aprox) measured it while installed but there's no way it's close to the 17mm range. And the difference looks about right to what I need to be centered. Rats! Now I gotta contact techno toy and see if they'll exchange the for the right one. Fml

This thread got me worried - I pulled my 240z S12w spacers from TTT out (still months away from installing), and they measure 20mm thick too. They're machined with 240Z engraving.

So... bad batch? Incorrect Manufacturing? Wrong Rotor? Aliens?

What's the donor car for the rotors you're using?

Edited by tim.d

It's been verified. I got an email from t3 letting me know their 280z spacers should be . 35" thick while their 240z counterpart is .78"... I too was informed they are stamped the. 240z.toyhr and the. 280z.toyhr so I go outside and measure and behold! Problem found. Irrelevant of what's stamped these bad boys are .78"!

I recommend going forward all those of you who get your set to verify the width of the spacer

post-2009-0-29524700-1486424946_thumb.jpg

Edited by superduner

Took some pictures as requested to show where the rubbing occurs. It's inside the caliper on the valley where the rotor is supposed to be centered and spins . if I begin to tighten the caliper bolts the sidewall presses the rotor. And As you can see these is a huge gap between the spindle and the caliper when I center the caliper in the rotor accordingly.

post-2009-0-97586300-1486425700_thumb.jpg

post-2009-0-37963600-1486426173_thumb.jpg

Edited by superduner

News update. T3 re emailed me rectifying their information about the spacers. The smaller ring is for the 260/280z and the wider one for the 240z which makes sense. So that would mean somewhere along the lifeline of my car, that previous owner subbed in 260z hubs/strut assembly maybe? ... Hmm interesting. Either way T3 is swapping them out free of charge and I'll update results. Looking forward to finishing the front already so I can piece my rear end together

Edited by superduner

The dimensions TTT quoted you do not look right.

Do you have 260Z hubs?

Note attached drawing which shows thickness dimension 16.850mm  (0.663in) is very close to my MM spacer purchased in 2006 from Ross.

post-178-0-28849500-1486427412_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

You have 240Z hubs shown in your first post or are they 260Z hubs?

280Z hubs are round

Also see 240Z hubs below.

Yup those are my kind of hubs alright....

Standing by for the new spacers to arrive. I'll slap those on and update results. God I hope I was sent the right rotors for the 84 300zx zx -_-

Edited by superduner

This happens to many of us restoring old cars. My first 72 240Z had a 280z right rear strut and brake assembly that created some confusion for awhile.

More info on hubs:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/60061-240z260z-front-hub-difference/

Thanks for the heads up brother. Looked up 260z hubs and found they looks like 240z but with 280z dimensions. Would you happen to know if the wheel bearings are interchangeable? If not I might have to rip those apart and make sure I'm not putting 240z parts into 260/80 parts. Haha