HybridZ

Engine Identification

Mayolives

Where can I locate information about vin. number vs/ model year. I know it's here somewhere but I can't find it. I need to know about block # L28 047773. It's in a car I just purchased and it's running a stroker set up with an E88 head and a four barrel carb. 

I don't know of any database that correlates block number to model year.  That being said, if you check the block code (on the drivers side towards the rear of the engine, just above the oil pan) you'll see either N42 or F54, N42 would be found in the '75-78 280Z and F54 would be '79-83 280ZX

I need to know about block # L28 047773. It's in a car I just purchased and it's running a stroker set up 

Seems like the only information you might get would be if it's flat-tops or dished, or if it's a turbo block or not.  But since it's a stroker, the crankshaft and pistons have been out so the first is irrelevant.  The second might be knowable, but that number is lower than my 1976 number 71155 so, if it is an L28 it's probably a 75 or 76 N42 block.

Nissan put the engine number on the ID plate by the strut tower, up to about 76-77.  

After removing some paint, I discovered the "N42" markings on the block.   I was told that It came from a ZX car.  Along with the deal, I received a five speed that was supposed to come from the same donor car as as the engine.  From what I know about transmissions, it did come from a ZX car.  So it would appear, just like Zhoob2004 said, some ZX cars sported the "N42" block. This engine is in a 74, 260, therefor,  checking body numbers won't provide help.

It's in a car I just purchased and it's running a stroker set up with an E88 head and a four barrel carb. 

There doesn't seem to be much point except confirming that it started life as an L28.  You know that "stoker" means the crankshaft has been replaced with a longer stroke crankshaft, right?  Often bored over-size too, to increase displacement even more.  And pistons replaced.  Unless you're actually trying to say that you got a spare engine with the car which makes the striker stuff irrelevant.

The N42 block was used in 1979 ZX's.. Maybe some 1980's (not sure, 80 seems to be a transition year for other parts too, ,like transmissions), before they switched to the F54.

Beside that, a matching transmission doesn't tell you where the engine started life. I've had four different transmissions and two engines in my car.  They mix and match.

QUOTE FROM NewZed :"The N42 block was used in 1979 ZX's.. Maybe some 1980's (not sure)"

Yes, the N42 block was used in some 1980 cars.  I purchased an 80 parts car that I'm sure still had all it's original running gear and it had the N42 block.  I'm not sure if Nissan ran them until a point where they were used up or if they mixed cars with them and the F54 throughout the year.