HybridZ

Can the stock air box be modifed to fit Motorsport air horns?

primaz

I want to keep the stock air box and found this great site showing Le Mans 240Z velocity stacks where they show you can modify the stock box to be able to use those full radius velocity stacks.  They do not have any phone nor does it appear I can buy them from that site but the Motor sport air horns appear to look the same?  Will those air horns work as the Z Car Garage Engineering site shows?

Here is the Z Car Garage Engineering url on the velocity stacks

http://datsungarge.com/catalog/z.htm

I attached their 6 page instructions on how to modify the stock air box to accept the full radius Le Mans velocity stacks which look the same as the Motor Sport Auto air horns?  I hope someone can tell me if the Motor Sport air horns will work if I follow the same modifications shown on the attached instruction sheet?

Thanks in advance, I am trying to initially set up my new 240Z engine to see how fast you can make a 240Z using stock induction.  The engine is a 3 Liter Datsun Spirit bottom end with a DL Potter head using the Datsun Spirit cam.  I have the stock SU intake ported to match the head as well as the cast iron exhaust ported to match the head which then feeds to a custom stainless exhaust Don Potter helped design before he died.

For some reason I cannot paste URL's so I saved the Motor Sport page as an PDF attachement

velocity stack mod to stock air box_mod2013.pdf

zstore airhorn.pdf

Edited by primaz

I tried to cut and paste the link but for some reason this site is not letting me do that so I attempted to type it manually; when I check the link it did not work so I printed the Motor  Sport page and edited my original posting including that PDF, see above

http:///www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PFFC/07/11-3014

Motor Sport shows them as listed as Air Horn, 70-72 240Z S.U. carbureators

Edited by primaz

• 2 weeks later...

I found out that the Motorsport Auto velocity stacks are too tall but I did a bit more research and found out whom made the ones that I was hoping to buy from www.datsunzgarage.com, they used TWM Induction which was bought out by Boral Induction.  I am waiting for them to get back to me to see if they will make custom velocity stacks that are the same specs, 44 mm, 38 mm tall, and 88 mm.  I will let you folks know if they will make that custom size as that is the same one datsunzgarage had created that will fit into the stock 240z air box if modified.

• 5 months later...