HybridZ

R200 limited slip options for 3.36 gears

The Dark Side of Will

I guess my first question is: What ratio is the carrier break for the R200?

My dad has a 3.36 from a 280Z 2+2 non(?)-turbo to go into his 260Z with 5.3 LS swap. However, it's an open diff.

I found a 300ZX non-turbo (Z32?) viscous LSD rear for a good price.

Will the 4.08 viscous LSD carrier work with the 3.36 gears, or are they on opposite sides of the carrier break?

*IS* there a carrier break? There isn't in BMW 210mm units, which I find weird as the factory ratios go from 2.65 to 3.91... That's a lot of extra steel in the 3.91 ring gear...

Will the 3.36 output flanges fit the viscous carrier?

I skimmed this reasonably cool thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/49194-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount/

As I recall, there were only 2 cars that came with the 3.36 gears in the US. The 260 2+2 and the 79 280ZX 2+2. A 280Z 2+2 should have 3.54s.

There is no carrier break on the R200.

The bolts thread into the ring gear, so you can use a LSD with 12mm bolt holes on a ring gear with 10mm bolts. Two methods are to use a bushing, mcmaster.com sells a bronze bushing that is 12mm OD 10mm ID and 13mm wide and it works just fine, or you can just clock the carrier so that the bolts rest on the drive side of the hole. I used bushings in mine, but lots of people didn't bother.

The viscous LSD has a totally different output shaft for the diff, so you'd need adapters or something to make it work. I never got into the shortnose swap thing because there was always a whole lot of hassle around getting CV shafts that work. I gather some people have made that setup work, but if you try and search for it the whole subject gets very convoluted and people are trying things and then the shafts fail, etc. Whole lot of BS to wade through to find a workable answer.

I would suggest you pull the cover on the diff and check the tooth count on the ring gear, will say 39:11 for 3.54 or 37:11 for 3.36 first. If you have a 3.36 and want to proceed, then I'd look at LSDs that work with the parts you already have. The 87-89 turbo clutch lsd is a good option. You can take the output stubs from your dad's R200 if it has one and plug straight into the 87-89 turbo diff. Or you could get an aftermarket LSD like OBX, KAAZ, Quaife, etc and they will all work as well.

If he's going to drag race it you might look at swapping out the stub axles for stronger chromoly units and the halfshafts for CVs. www.modern-motorsports.com sells a few different options for that.

Edited by JMortensen