theczechone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, MI

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:24 AM

So, 

I'm back at it, I have purchased a second 240z because my RB project is taking forever and I am itching to drive a Z again. Here in Michigan it is very difficult to find early s30 with enough metal left to weld on to. Luckily i found a car that was driven here from Texas, parked in a barn (2009) and not really exposed to much of the snow, salt, and moisture. It still is not rust-free, far from it, the floors were patched at some point with fiberglass ( which is lifting off) and the clutch master leaked into the drivers floor and the brake fluid ate away whatever was left. But let's concentrate on the positives

She is a 10/71 production date, in orange with black interior. The engine was swapped to a L28 out of a 75 or 76 it seems based on the intake manifold that came in the trunk, sporting some round top SUs. The trans is a 5spd, and the rear end is an open R200 unit, still need to find out about the ratio.

To get the engine running all i had to do is drain the fuel, and hot wire the starter. She came to life but wasn't too happy about it. Got new plugs wires, rotor and cap and she purrs like a kitten. Still have some carb tunning to do but onto the next thing. 

Dropped the fuel tank and cleaned the inside. actually wasn't as bad as i thought, cleaned the outside and got some skillard stainless straps for it. Still have to paint it before i reassemble. 

The brake master and the clutch master cylinders were no longer holding fluid. For now i opted to replace both units with cheap rockauto parts. I'm saving the oe units for rebuild later down the road. I also opted to replace the slave cylinder on the clutch and the rubber hose going to it as there was a leak there as well. New fluid through the system and all is working as it should. 

I had some Epsilon Meshies that i was prepping for the RB car but since it won't need them anytime soon, they'll look good on the orange car for now. 

We had an odd 65degree day in middle of February in Michigan so i had to drive the car out for a wash.

The next steps are interior, as with most barnfinds, the car was home to a family of mice. I found 4 skeletons and the air ducts are full of stuff, not to mention the wonderful aroma of mice piss through out the car. 

And here is my boy trying to take my car keys

Attached File  FullSizeRender.jpg   123.68KB   0 downloads

'71 240z RB25det time attack project
'72 240z L28e w/ SUs, 5spd summer daily http://forums.hybrid...0z-hls30-50499/

#2 theczechone

theczechone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, MI

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:43 AM

Just a little update, have had a couple of busy weeks at work so not much got done during the month of March. But I did put in a new MSD Blaster 2 Coil to pair with the e12-80 280zx ignition, i finished painting my fuel tank and installed it. I tuned the SUs and checked the timing. My vacuum advance doesn't seem to be functioning. Hope to find just a new vacuum diaphragm but have been unsuccessful up to this point. 

I did pull the dash to clean all the air ducts, and leak check the heater core. I do have a spare so that one may go in. I picked up a set of seats from a local datsun enthusiast for a great price(thanks Jose). 

I'm picking up my floorpans on thursday, and i have an order in with John at Bad Dog Parts and the fun will start then. 

Picture of the seats

Attached File  seats.jpg   63.41KB   0 downloads

Edited by theczechone, 05 April 2017 - 04:44 AM.

#3 theczechone

theczechone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, MI

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:55 AM

Well I was taking apart the interior to redo the floors in the car and I found out that the interior used to be white. grr i love white interiors on orange cars, and someone savagely painted the interior black. oh well I think i will start searching for white interior bits, can only imagine how hard is it going to be to find.

#4 KevvinG

KevvinG

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

WOW! What seats are those?  They look amazing!

'77 280Z w/ 3x 40DCOE18

#5 theczechone

theczechone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, MI

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

They are corbeau clubman seats, PO had them recovered to fit his Hakosuka

Attached File  15350720_1141211982664716_4751294359897151151_n.jpg   50.33KB   0 downloads

#6 theczechone

theczechone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, MI

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:16 AM

Just a little update, I started working on the floors, which as usual includes replacement of the battery tray and half the firewall... why did I think this time would be any different. grrr

If you are reading this and think about repairing your floors with fiberglass....DON'T!! New metal is the only way. See Exhibit A:

Attached File  IMG_4101.JPG   128.5KB   0 downloads

Anyway this is what the passenger floor looked like after the fiberglass removal. Note the dark spot in the upper left. Lots of moisture here. Which i don't understand because the car hasn't seen rain in over 7 years!!!!

Attached File  IMG_4099.JPG   77.2KB   0 downloads

if you notice there is also a big hole next to the wire harness hole and i was able to push through the battery tray with my finger. so all that needs to be replaced as well. 

I got to cutting, here is the passenger floor out, still have more trimming to do and have to replace the section of the firewall before the floor can go in.

Attached File  IMG_4106.JPG   133.28KB   0 downloads

I got some floor pans for Classic2Current Fabrication. They are local to me so i was able to go to their shop to pick up the pans. I'm happy with the quality, just missing the dimple on the outboard sides like you get with zedd findings.

Attached File  IMG_4100.JPG   51.86KB   0 downloads

Edited by theczechone, 3 weeks ago.

#7 theczechone

theczechone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, MI

Posted 4 weeks ago

A little update, progress has been slow but finally getting somewhere. Due to rust i ended up replacing half of the firewall and the battery tray. new metal is now welded in. Also the new frame rail from John at Bad Dog Parts has been installed along with his rear subframe connectors. The final fitting of the pan on the passenger side should happen tonight and welded in hopefully this weekend. Etching primer and seam sealer after that and it's off to the driver's side!

#8 theczechone

theczechone

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, MI

Posted 3 weeks ago

And the passenger side is in! 

Attached File  unnamed.jpg   107.68KB   0 downloads

Just wondering if to get the prospect D seat mounts or the Bad Dog seat mounts. I think im leaning towards the prospect d mounts 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users