HybridZ

1973 distributor identification

nmehdikh

Car is a 73 240z, motor is an L26. Trying to find a new distributor cap for it, but nothing seems to fit right.

I originally ordered one for an L26, and it was too big. Looked up the markings  (D611-54) on the distributor and they seem to be for a 73 240z, so I ordered the cap for that and it was still slightly too big.

The cap that is currently on there (and used to work until it went bad) has a outside diameter of 3 inches, and an inside diameter of 2.4 inches. I also ordered a rotor for an L26 and an L24, the L26 one was again too big, but the L24 one fit fine.

Is this a case of shitty parts store caps just not fitting right? I've attached a pic of the distributor markings, can you guys point me in the right direction of what cap to order?XHY9mOL.jpg

Looked up the markings  (D611-54) on the distributor and they seem to be for a 73 240z, so I ordered the cap for that and it was still slightly too big.

I've attached a pic of the distributor markings, can you guys point me in the right direction of what cap to order?

It's a 73 distributor.  The cap only fits one way, with a square locating piece by one of the clip areas.  Maybe you had it backward.  "Slightly too big" doesn't tell much about how it doesn't fit.

Can you make that picture any bigger?

If you click the picture it'll go to full resolution.

Yeah, I found the locating piece and had it in the right way. But the spring clips wouldn't latch into place. The diameter was slightly too large. I suspect oreilly's gave me the wrong part.

If its a 73 distributor I guess I'll order a cap from nissan and try my luck again.