HybridZ

1971 Datsun 240Z - L33 - Twin Turbo - 4L80e

T-56 are hella expensive and I live near Toronto so play in a ton of stop and go traffic. I hit the wreckers and found a 4L80e for $400 CAD (about $11 US)

20160531_150727_zpsnf1nlhif.jpg

Dump oil all over yourself and the driveway and then wire wheel the bastard 80e. Steal all the cat litter in the house for the driveway, call it a day

20160601_203557_zpswecqfgfo.jpg

11US is hilarious! I'm from Vegas but staying in Barrie with my girlfriend and pleasantly surprised with the exchange rate. Nice build. I just picked up my diff from Whitehead Performance, obviously made from titanium and gold plated for what I paid for it.

Back from the paint booth

So here is a few shots out in the Sun. it was partially clouded but you can see the gold coming though. Car will go back in the warm weather for cut and polish job. This will being make the cars paint look deep. Last one is a quickie "digtal lowering" job. It looks like it sits so high now lol.

20170316_141120_zps7mbvqrl3.jpg
IMG_20170316_162116_170_zpsvfi1hgio.jpg
20170316_130928_zps2nnnomjg.jpg
20170316_130917_zpsxgmk30ug.jpg
20170316_130559_zps36qonhci.jpg

datsun%20sigi%20lower%20sm_zpsuokhzoth.j

11US is hilarious! I'm from Vegas but staying in Barrie with my girlfriend and pleasantly surprised with the exchange rate. Nice build. I just picked up my diff from Whitehead Performance, obviously made from titanium and gold plated for what I paid for it.

lol and its only getting worse! errrr better for you

• 2 weeks later...

Looked really clean at first. And then I remembered why I said "No more old cars!" Because they're all hiding something.

BTW, if you aren't planning on it yet, start planning on chassis reinforcement. You're going to need it with that amount of power.

Also, thank your wife for steering you away from painting it gold.

Sadly most builds seem to be about looks and how fast it is in a straight line but avoiding gold gets a big thumbs up.

I managed to get the car home all safe and sound. Its been a cold week last week with only one good day so I took advantage of it. Motor is in but I am already running into issues. Car uses a LS1 water pump with spacer to match the truck crank. The TB hit the water pump and the heater lines hit the headers when in the low position. Solution is to pull the pressed in pieces for the heater line and tap them for AN fittings. The TB issues I'm still working on. I make be able to shave a little metal and make it work.

20170329_103530_zpsom3subks.jpg

20170329_152607_zpsez8sknaf.jpg

IMG_20170331_081331_974_zpspbrfngub.jpg

IMG_20170331_081618_586_zpsqbhohssc.jpg

Sadly most builds seem to be about looks and how fast it is in a straight line but avoiding gold gets a big thumbs up.

I want it all. The car wil be auto, and honestly I'm a drag guy. Road course it not my thing. I have done it on bike and car mainly at Mosport. I do love drag. Car will retain the IRS. and the block is still gold :)

Nice build Ryan!  She's looking better and better!  What's left to go?

Quit a bit. Just waiting for some dry weather so that I can roll it out of the garage and have some room to work. Hot side fabrication and wiring on next on the list.

Edited by Ryan Merrill

Looking great Ryan. I may never get to paint as I spend too much on go fast parts...... Your car looks so very clean! I'm content with my angry racer primer look for now, but seeing projects in paint gets me tossing change in a savings jar. FWIW, I had great dealings and success with wiring specialties for LS wiring. Best of luck. Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great Ryan. I may never get to paint as I spend too much on go fast parts...... Your car looks so very clean! I'm content with my angry racer primer look for now, but seeing projects in paint gets me tossing change in a savings jar. FWIW, I had great dealings and success with wiring specialties for LS wiring. Best of luck. Jim

Thanks Jim. I am building my own harness. its was actually easier then I though it would be. Angry primer is awesome. <y car was painted because I only had to pay for the paint lol.

• 5 months later...

This is dope, I love the colour. I'm torn between valencia orange and sakhir orange myself. I just cant decide if I want it looking more orange or red :P Make sure your thinking about your differential. With two turbos and a LSx you might just blow it up on the road (or definitely strip). Just a thought. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at ditching my nitrous system on my LSX 436 and adding some dual Borg Warner S366's  66/73. In order to do this and make it street friendly I will need to drop my compression down from 11.3 to 1...yikes. I am currently running a single bouche 044 pump but will have to add another one to the mix, do you plan on pump gas (93) octane or E85?  I am on the fence as to which one to choose, I hate the thought of chasing E85 around plus the winter blends suck.

Very nice set up by the way, looking forward to hearing more about it!

Mike