toolman

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Locationhonolulu

Posted 3 weeks ago

P1030555
  After cutting open the front rail where there was a small rust spot, this is what I found-more corrosion.   So I guess I have also to replace the two front frame rails.

P1030556
  close up of corrosion

P1030552
  picture of a Datum Line which is used a  reference point for frame work.

P1030553
  overall view of Datum Line

P1030558
  As of now, I planned to install a Chevrolet LS3 crate motor with T56 6speed manual
transmission.  This motor is rated at 430HP  but they now have a updated version of this motor rated at 500HP.  I waiting to complete the major bodywork before I order the motor.  Chevrolet might have a better choice in the future!

P1030557
  Description of LS3 motor

#22 LLave

LLave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationRohnert Park, CA

Posted 3 weeks ago

Interesting slotted LCA holes in the corssmember 

#23 toolman

toolman

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Locationhonolulu

Posted 3 weeks ago

Those slotted holes in the front cross member are for an eccentric bolt that provides about one degree of camber adjustment.  At the time,

I had access to automotive wheel alignment machine so I slotted the hole while checking the camber.  Now days, everybody is going to slotted camber plates on the top of the struts.   This was done in the mid 70's when only aluminum eccentric camber bushings were available.  Good catch!

#24 toolman

toolman

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Locationhonolulu

Posted 3 weeks ago

P1030559

The passenger side floor pan is being cut off.  Note a gap of about 1" is being left around all of the sides.  This should provide a much easier time of installing the new floor pan.

#25 toolman

toolman

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Locationhonolulu

Posted 2 weeks ago

P1030560
  right side floor pan template

P1030564
    redneck sheet metal brake-1
P1030562
    redneck sheet metal brake-2

P1030566
   floor pan sheet metal  shape template

P1030565
   test fit for floor pan

I constructed a redneck sheet metal brake for making the floor pan.   Using c-claps, vise grips, steel
tubing and steel plates.  It did the job.  I made a sheet metal shape template to aid in creating the slope in the floor plan.  A narrow about 1" wide was hand bend to match the shape of the existing pan.  The
floor pan was then test fitted.  The floor pan will be trimmed and attached with cleco clips.

#26 toolman

toolman

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Locationhonolulu

Posted 9 hours ago

tunnel patched
     patching trans tunnel
weldind right floor
     welding right side floor in

Got back from a trip to Japan.   More patching in the transmission tunnel.   Some were rust related and others were from the previous transmission
mounting holes.   Welding the right side floor panel in was easier than the left side as it had less corrosion.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: frame rails

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users