toolman

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Locationhonolulu

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:43 PM

P1030555
  After cutting open the front rail where there was a small rust spot, this is what I found-more corrosion.   So I guess I have also to replace the two front frame rails.

P1030556
  close up of corrosion

P1030552
  picture of a Datum Line which is used a  reference point for frame work.

P1030553
  overall view of Datum Line

P1030558
  As of now, I planned to install a Chevrolet LS3 crate motor with T56 6speed manual
transmission.  This motor is rated at 430HP  but they now have a updated version of this motor rated at 500HP.  I waiting to complete the major bodywork before I order the motor.  Chevrolet might have a better choice in the future!

P1030557
  Description of LS3 motor

#22 LLave

LLave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationRohnert Park, CA

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

Interesting slotted LCA holes in the corssmember 

#23 toolman

toolman

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Locationhonolulu

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:17 AM

Those slotted holes in the front cross member are for an eccentric bolt that provides about one degree of camber adjustment.  At the time,

I had access to automotive wheel alignment machine so I slotted the hole while checking the camber.  Now days, everybody is going to slotted camber plates on the top of the struts.   This was done in the mid 70's when only aluminum eccentric camber bushings were available.  Good catch!

#24 toolman

toolman

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Locationhonolulu

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:41 PM

P1030559

The passenger side floor pan is being cut off.  Note a gap of about 1" is being left around all of the sides.  This should provide a much easier time of installing the new floor pan.

#25 toolman

toolman

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Locationhonolulu

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:42 PM

P1030560
  right side floor pan template

P1030564
    redneck sheet metal brake-1
P1030562
    redneck sheet metal brake-2

P1030566
   floor pan sheet metal  shape template

P1030565
   test fit for floor pan

I constructed a redneck sheet metal brake for making the floor pan.   Using c-claps, vise grips, steel
tubing and steel plates.  It did the job.  I made a sheet metal shape template to aid in creating the slope in the floor plan.  A narrow about 1" wide was hand bend to match the shape of the existing pan.  The
floor pan was then test fitted.  The floor pan will be trimmed and attached with cleco clips.

#26 toolman

toolman

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Locationhonolulu

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:12 PM

tunnel patched
     patching trans tunnel
weldind right floor
     welding right side floor in

Got back from a trip to Japan.   More patching in the transmission tunnel.   Some were rust related and others were from the previous transmission
mounting holes.   Welding the right side floor panel in was easier than the left side as it had less corrosion.

#27 toolman

toolman

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Locationhonolulu

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:44 PM

P1030573
   interior reinforcement plate

reinforcement plate
    mock up firewall shape guide

P1030575
  bottle jack used to trial fit connector

P1030574
   rear connector test fit

P1030578
   front connector holding jig

rear connector jig
   rear connector holding jig

exterior reinforcement plate
   exterior reinforcement plate

I was delayed for couple of weeks as my air compressor broke down.   As usual. all the necessary parts had to be ordered from the Mainland.  Finally got the parts in and compressor fixed.   Sure was difficult to work without a air compressor.   Hope to get back on track now.

#28 toolman

toolman

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Locationhonolulu

Posted A week ago

P1030580

My Z Project has been delayed by a deal that I could not pass up on.   One of my customers had a C-Aire 7 1/2 HP two
stage compressor with 80 gallon tank.  It wasn't running because of a broken inlet valve.  The price was $500 so I said "Sure"
and load into my truck.   Had to wait for couple weeks to get the compressor head rebuilt kit.  I spent the time cleaning and
checking the parts.   The parts came in last week and I reassembled the compressor.  Everything is ready to go except the
wiring and control devices.  Should be only a weeks more before I can get back to my 240Z project!!!

#29 toolman

toolman

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Locationhonolulu

Posted 4 days ago

P1030583
 right side interior floor reinforcement

Waiting for magnetic starter switch for my air compressor so I decided to finish the floor reinforcement plates.  These 16 gauge
steel plates are located inside the vehicle at the bottom end the firewall and front section of each side floor panel.   They will
reinforce the floor and firewall directly above the frame rails.  The plates are about 4 inches wide about a foot long.  This should
spread the frame load over a wider area of the floor sheet metal.

P1030582
  left side interior floor reinforcement

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: frame rails

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users