HybridZ

Modified 240z on BaT

seattlejester

Friend sent this to me.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-datsun-240z-23/

Personally I think it is too high already.

Things I spot: a fairly leaky motor, what looks to be an NA 5 speed, no picture of the diff/axle area, flares on a stock offset setup (super sunken wheels), cracked or poorly installed steering column cover, rust on the firewall, really dangerously installed harnesses, and no shroud or ducting on the radiator. It also lists 4x4 brakes, but looks like 4runners on what also looks like a stock master cylinder setup. 

As of this posting it has 6 days left and is already at 19k. Should be interesting to see what it ends up at.

I keep wondering where all these S30's are that have been modified better than this that are going for 15k?

Yeah, it's not 100% perfect. To my knowledge there's only been about 1 S30 to date that's actually been 100% done "right" and it sold for $125k. 

There are SO many horribly modified S30's out there, or ones that are just rusting away to shambles, that to see one that's very nicely modified (albiet not perfect) people are finally appreciate it.

This is a good thing for us.

Also, is a Z only allowed to be good if it's a member on this site that posts it? Because it seems everyone loves to crap on any 240z that isn't owned by a HybridZ owner. Even then, I'm almost scared to post mine when I finish it. I'm gonna warn you, it won't be perfect.

Well just in our for sale section.

V8 swap, clean, 16k

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/123391-57l-lt1-280z-for-sale/

SR20 swap, clean, 14.5k

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/125689-1971-series-1-240z-fully-restored-sr20det-for-sale-in-socal/

RB25 swap, unfinished? 10.5k

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/125202-1977-280z-wrb25det-s2-swap/

You go back a bit further

L28ET swap, with a real tunable ECU, real wheels, needs paint some body work etc 5.5k

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/122241-1972-240z-turbo-sold/

L30ET clean, with LSD 8.8k

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/118939-1972-30-turbo/

SR20 swap, super clean, 13k

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/94762-fs-1971-datsun-240z-with-sr20det-loc-north-east/

Forums also don't seem to be the main staple for selling/buying cars of this nature anymore, I've seen fairly nice examples pop up on facebook groups, craigslist, and some other apps. They are out there still.

Granted you don't see the nicer ones as often anymore as I feel people are trying to hold onto them a little longer. 

Times are changing, no doubt. A modified example selling high is good for people on this forum especially. It is bad for those trying to get into one, or trying to replace one. I knew someone local who had someone T-bone his Z. Couldn't source one anywhere close to his car with the insurance payout because of the upswing. 

I think you also misunderstood my intention. No a car does not have to be perfect, never said that. There are some issues here. 

-Harnesses going straight to the floor. That is dangerous. There are about half a dozen safer ways to do it. 

-Selling a car as rust free when rust is present. That is irritating as anyone who has dealt with rust can tell you.

-4x4 brakes being listed while what looks like 4runner brakes shown, simple error, no biggie. Running that on a stock master, that is going to need quite a bit of throw to get all 8 of those front pistons to engage.

-no shroud or ducting on that radiator. I have that radiator and it will overheat without those in traffic.

-adding flares to a car that doesn't need them. I don't get. I guess you are setting someone up to throw some better wheels on later.

The reason for pointing out the flaws is not to say, "Oh it isn't perfect, he shouldn't sell it, he's not a member, I hate him...." the point is to say this is not a perfect car or a well sorted car, and it is still getting a very high bid.

Bottomline, this is a clean mid level car in the modified category. It has some flaws that will need to be worked out. If it sells high that means we all can expect more when time comes to sell our cars and we all should look at reevaluating our insurance policies. It also means that we are going to be seeing more and more oddball for sale ads or ludicrous asking prices kind of approaching the porsche 911 territory which is absolutely saturated with some ludicrous things.

I bought my Z 1-1/2 years ago....barely was able to buy it from the guy. He had backed out on a previous deal with cash in hand. I have since improved the car and asked if he was interested in seeing it. Response was " outta sight, outta mind ". Poor bastard, he sold the car thinking he was going to buy a boat for the family and it never happened. I'm going to the grave with this car. I bought it just before pricing got really crazy.

I thought the Toyota 4x4 and 4Runner used the same brakes on certain years. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. S12W calipers right?

Also, Flares look cool. So what if he doesn't need them.

And the S30 should be at 911 level prices. It's an awesome looking car that is fun to drive. Pretty much the only 911's you can get for 20k though are terrible though. 

With sites like Petrolicious and Speedhunters featuring S30's more and more often, you're gonna have more people want them. Look at the AE86 market after that one cartoon came out. Good god.

And the S30 should be at 911 level prices. It's an awesome looking car that is fun to drive. Pretty much the only 911's you can get for 20k though are terrible though.

Why should it be at 911 prices? The 911 has always been a well built, high end sports car. The Z never was, and had comparatively high production numbers. Porsche is a sports car company, Nissan is an auto company that made a sports car. No one is every going to brag about owning a Nissan the way they would a Porsche.

Even if it was on par with 911s, why would you want it to be so expensive? 911s are now pretty much out of reach for the most enthusiasts. Not all of them, but the more desirable ones. Go on Pelican and see how many no longer enjoy driving the car because of the increased value, or how many can no longer afford them. It's nice to see S30s getting out of reach of dumbass kids, but beyond that, I mostly see increasing prices as a bad thing.

Edited by rturbo 930

If I recall correctly I think they stopped using the 4x4 name before the 4runner era. Thus the 4x4 usually means the solid rotor caliper with 1 larger pair and 1 smaller pair of piston stamped S12, the 4runner would be stamped with the S12W which would have 4 larger pistons also requiring more fluid displacement. That on a stock master, I think the brakes probably wouldn't engage the rotor fully until you were a good one-two inches down on the pedal, couldn't adjust it either as that would cause them to drag and boil the fluid.

Once again personal taste. It reminds me of the 90's/00's when people would throw huge wide body kits and roll around on stock wheels. Granted maybe the seller ran out of money or maybe wants to keep the wheels that were on it. Both those cases fair enough.

I agree with rturbo 930 on all fronts. The S30 shouldn't be near the 911 price range. Imagine that a 280zx or a Z31 being worth 15-20k regardless of condition. An early S30 being worth 30k plus with good examples selling at high 5 figure low 6 figure values that would be the absolute death of the enthusiasts also probably the death of this forum, not too many people would be willing to swap an odd motor in case they hurt the resale value. I imagine this was the same thought before the prices skyrocketed in the 911 market though. 

not too many people would be willing to swap an odd motor in case they hurt the resale value. I imagine this was the same thought before the prices skyrocketed in the 911 market though. 

Go back to 2005 or so, and you can find early 911s selling for 10k or less for pretty decent examples. However, I don't think the 911 was ever as popular for engine swaps as the Z was, mostly due to the prestige of the 911 that the Z never had, and also the whole business with being rear engined, and having to find a way to install and plumb a radiator. But it's been done. V8 swaps, and some Subaru motors, both flat fours, and flat sixes. I think someone did a VR6, but I don't remember if it was ever finished. Swapping in larger/newer 911 motors seems common though, or at least it used to.

Speaking of personal taste - I cannot wait until this stupid stance fad is over, and people stop drooling over all these terrible looking body kits that keep coming out, ie Rocket Bunny, etc. Carbon signal's kit is the only one that I've seen that looks even remotely decent. One downside to the popularity of the Z is that people seem to buy them, and then modify them without knowing anything about them, neither the history of the car, or what mods do well and which mods don't. The FuguZ is a perfect example of this.

Edited by rturbo 930

Final EDIT(8): Twenty nine grand huh?

This is a pretty good baseline for me, personally, as this is similar to - but lesser than - my build. I'm looking at potential insurance options, and I'm having a hard time assessing my car's value given the quickly climbing market.

Jesus, it jumped nine grand in the last five minutes...

Scary times gents..

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

I can't believe that car went for $30k. I didn't really look at the listing in detail until now, and it's even more surprising. The brakes are basically stock except a front caliper upgrade and master cyl upgrade. The engine appears to be internally stock, with a reconditioned head w/ valve job, and it has ARP head bolts. Z31 ECU as well, not even a standalone EMS. It has a basic coilover setup, with Tokico shocks. Konig Rewinds, which are okay, and a 3.7 R200 with no mention of a limited slip. Sounds like it has the non-turbo trans, too, which will need to be upgraded if the buyer wants to make decent power.

Oh, and it doesn't run right (apparently a little rich) and it has a small radiator leak. And it has a half dash cap.

Sounds like a really basic build, with some admittedly very nice looking paint.

IMO, buyer overpaid by quite a lot.

I don't think some ZG flares on any 240 would net you 30k...

...but an L28et swap, an R200 (non-LSD of course), a fixed dash board, a new carpet kit, your most basic lower springs and strutts, ZG flares, Type 1 front and BRE spoiler, and of course, a really good paint job might get you that.

If you know how to apply paint and mask rust holes with Bondo, you can start making some good money of S30's presently.

:huh:  "A fool and his money is easily parted" as the saying goes. I really do hope the buyer is happy with his purchase, it's his money after all and a lot of guys just don't how to or can't build their own car.   But I think he is going to find out pretty quickly that the car he bought is just a collection of mostly lower end bolt on goodies.

Wow...that is impressive!

Sales like this really change the value of modified s30s....

I guess a well sorted car can fetch a lot more value than a "project" or a "just needs a bit of" lol

wonder what my JZ s30 will be worth after paint and suspension...

I'm curious if this car was for sale on a local Craigslist or comparable for a reasonably close asking price, and for how many weeks it was posted if so. I guess all it takes is more than one interested in an auction setting. Extremely strong money for what comprises that whole package. I don"t think this is setting the average price range for comparable equipped cars, rather more than one interested and bidding. I for one don't care to see S30's jump too drastically into high price categories for several reasons.

Firstly, they have for the most part been affordable and accessible for many years allowing many to get in, customize for competition weather it be purely amateur hobbyist such as myself or working on up through the racing leagues with bigger players.

The drastic jump in pricing would more than likely play a big factor in peoples choices of actually modifying them and more importantly enjoying flogging them as they should be.

I personally, am building my own interpretation of my ultimate, well balanced, powerful S30 for my own approval with as much regards to using quality parts as I can afford as I never plan on selling my attainable dream car. Just my 2 cents worth, (maybe worth less).    

Edited by Nelsonian