HybridZ

Door alignment problems?

I've encountered a weird problem with my passenger side door where sometimes it doesn't like to shut unless you slam it hard enough that I'm scared the glass is gonna break.

My actual problem is something I'm evidently not smart enough to figure out. Sometimes the door closes fine and other times it literally won't close and has to be tied to the E brake handle. I got tired of it changing so I got it closing perfect and welded the door striker to the jamb and somehow something is still changing. Is the car really just flexing that bad that it won't close based on the way the car is parked or am I missing something?

What year?  What part seems to be hindering the closing?  Could be the latch just isn't fully springing open.  Have you worked the mechanism on the door with ti open to see how it works?  You'll see how what could be sticking.  .

If you've already done these things you should write them.  Not much detail to work with otherwise.

It's a 74 260z. It seems like the car is what's keeping it from closing. The latch on the door that turns seems to turn freely all the way through and doesn't have any problems springing back into place. 

I put one of those little cameras into the door while shutting it to see what the problem was and then I adjusted the striker till it closed perfectly then welded it to the door jamb. 

The problem I'm having is it will randomly close perfect and then not close at all but the striker definitely isn't moving seeing as how it's welded to the vehicle.

Edited by CGraves

The door handle has a rod with a nylon adjustment nut. This adjustment can cause the door mechanism to unlatch the door if the nut is turned too far down the rod.

You can test the adjustment by moving the door latch to the closed position and then  pulling the door handle while watching for the latch to move.

See pictures.

post-178-0-50860100-1490473582_thumb.gif

post-178-0-88300100-1490473582_thumb.gif

A.  I can't believe you welded the striker to the frame...  

B.  I can't believe that you didn't take the entire latch mechanism out of the door and completely clean and lubricate it.   (Well, I can believe that...  It's a pain...)

IMO you're looking in the wrong place for the solution to your problem.  Do what Miles said above and make sure all the parts inside the door are adjusted and working properly.  But, my bet is that the entire rotating latch assembly needs to be thoroughly cleaned, lubricated, checked for wear and proper operation.

The part on the door that turns inside the striker rotates just fine and has no place where it catches and doesn't seem to be worn when I turn it by hand but I'll take a look at it. 

I mainly welded the striker because I've been tackling this issue on and off for the last 8 months and I was really frustrated but is there anything particularly wrong with welding the striker to the car? I can just grind the tacks off and move it around if I need to.

If the latch mechanism was out of adjustment that means it just wouldn't work 100% of the time correct? 

Edited by CGraves