HybridZ

I'm really enjoying your build.  Keep up the great work!

On 1/14/2018 at 12:15 PM, boosted300 said:

The rest was hard-lined...

I'm planning my VintageAir install and I'm curious why you used hard line, after the condenser.  Shouldn't it be insulated?  Not criticizing, just curious/learning.

Edited by rossman

That line after the condenser is cooler than it went into the condenser, but it's still hot. Any extra cooling that line gets from not being insulated (probably pretty insignificant) only helps the performance of the system. the line you want to insulate is between the evaporator and the compressor to lower the system's overall operating temperature.

Gotcha, thanks!  

1 hour ago, ZHoob2004 said:

That line after the condenser is cooler than it went into the condenser, but it's still hot. Any extra cooling that line gets from not being insulated (probably pretty insignificant) only helps the performance of the system. the line you want to insulate is between the evaporator and the compressor to lower the system's overall operating temperature.

6 hours ago, ZHoob2004 said:

Uh...yeah...what he said! 

Thanks ZHoob, I'll be honest...AC is one thing I've never really been much of an expert at.  I understand the basics but that's about it.  I bought the kit which came with everything needed, but with very basic parts that weren't designed for aesthetic appeal but, rather, to simply get the job done, ie cheap rubber hoses and fittings, flat black dryer, etc.  I decided to upgrade a bit with some dressier components, like the hard lines, from Vintage Air.  

I decided to try and defend the beautiful radiator against electrolysis as much as possible by trying to isolate the radiator from the frame, so I took a trip to Ace Hardware and experimented in the fittings and fasteners aisle.  I started with a piece of rubber vacuum hose, added the components from Ace, and came up with this...

20161029_162459.jpg