HybridZ

First start up in almost 2 years...and it fired right up. 

We let the engine run for some time looking for any issues. 

All went well, until...we noticed a small water leak coming from the bottom of the water pump. 

Deeeeeeep siiiiiiigh...time to disassemble again.

We had never touched  the water pump so this was still the unit that came with the car...

Upon inspection, the sealant that had been used didn't appear to be appropriate for the task...

IMG-20170105-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20170105-WA0011.jpg

The previous owner had advertised the motor as having an N1 water pump, so I ordered a new one from Raw Brokerage.

When it arrived, I noticed that the impeller was different, having only 6 blades instead of 8.  I called Ricky at Raw Brokerage and he confirmed that the stock pump has 8 blades, and the N1 has 6...<_<

Well...at least now it really did have and N1 water pump.

IMG-20170105-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20170105-WA0013.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Time to try and catch up a bit...

So with the new water pump, all is well...and after nearly 2 years down time, I finally get to drive my car home...but what a tease...

With all the changes, the tune was no longer valid so getting on it, so to speak, could potentially destroy the engine.  I had fairly drastically changed the air flow characteristics of the motor, so I couldn't take any chances until it was re-tuned.  

You spend 2 years reworking and upgrading so much, all you want to do is get on it...but this is where a dose self-restraint is in order...

So my long awaited drive home was as bland as vanilla ice cream...a few half throttle explorations into minor boost was the most I could allow myself to indulge in. 

Uggggh!  However, calls had already been placed to the tuner when the car was close to completion in order to get me on the books and get me on the dyno asap.

Meanwhile...the finished product...(at least to that point!)

Screenshot_20161226-212424.png

Once home, I attended to some fun little details...

Despite the ceramic coating, and the turbo blanket, there was still some pretty decent heat from the turbine housing...when I got home I felt the hood from the outside and it was pretty hot...and that was driving the car gingerly.  

Concerned it may cause some damage to the hood paint when I pushed the car hard and the turbo really got hot, I got some Dynamat Hoodliner to add a little more protection...

20170127_005955.jpg

Edited by boosted300

The hoodliner worked like a charm, after my next drive the part of the hood directly over the turbo was cooler than any other part of the hood. 

Meanwhile, completely enamored with the new look of the engine, I had to take some just-because shots...

20170127_010025.jpg

One of the small unfinished details was the coolant overflow tank.

Like Doug had eloquently pointed out, we had shoved 5 pounds of $%^& into a 2 pound bag.  

This engine bay was not designed for the multitude of things we had squeezed in there.  

Free space was now a serious premium, and I couldn't find the right size and shape overflow tank, or the spot to put it in.  

The universal bracket I had used for the extinguisher came with a variety of different brackets and hardware.  

I pieced together some brackets that were leftover, along with an old Greddy catch can I had lying around, and invented a viable solution...

20170312_180236.jpg

20170312_180239.jpg

20170312_180243.jpg