HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
boosted300

boosted300's RB 240Z

It would be rude to interrupt :)

A friend and I were talking about wastgates the other day, kind of funny how how almost many manifolds have the wastage in the second to worst location, in addition they usually have additional routing after the branch point which almost puts it on par with the worst location/orientation. 

Must not be a problem if your fabricator with access and ability chose to do it that way, or was it done that way for packaging etc?

It would be rude to interrupt :)

A friend and I were talking about wastgates the other day, kind of funny how how almost many manifolds have the wastage in the second to worst location, in addition they usually have additional routing after the branch point which almost puts it on par with the worst location/orientation. 

Must not be a problem if your fabricator with access and ability chose to do it that way, or was it done that way for packaging etc?

Since the manifold was not fabbed from scratch, we utilized the existing wastegate mounting point and then modified it to make the best of the situation.

As with any budget, you gotta pick and choose your battles...some things I went balls to the wall on and others I opted to be more economical on. A hand-fabbed manifold would've been much pricier. I looked at some Raw Brokerage units and, while stunning works of art, they were much more expensive and they were designed for EFR's...which would have required even more $$$ for an EFR. The goal was to maximize what I had now (turbo, injectors, AEM 1) while improving peripheral items to handle future updgrades (Intercooler, cooling system, chasis).

As far as routing the dump tube, there really aren't many options when you start squeezing this much stuff into a small space.

We decided to try open dump first to as we weren't sure if there would be any creep.

While I don't want to spoil the ending...I will say that it works like a charm ;)

(oh and feel free to interrupt...it's rewarding to be able to share and discuss with others who have the same passion!)

Posted (edited)

I considered powdercoating it, but decided instead to have it polished first which would look great and still give me the option to powdercoat later if I wanted, or decided I just didn't like the polished look.

Doug...obsessed with the details...refused to let me polish it as-is.

He got rid of all the extraneous metal, leaving a more streamlined overall look...

post-14582-0-06243900-1493430036_thumb.jpg

And, of course, if I polish the intake manifold, the only thing left in the engine bay not cleaned up/polished would be the compressor housing...can't have that!

Edited by boosted300

Any chance you know what the paint code is? I'm always trying to find the right shade of blue. It's tough to get right but yours looks great!

I'm sorry I dont...I asked the seller the same thing and he didn't know either...I believe he bought the body already painted from Cali.