HybridZ

Fuse #8 please help!?

Hey guys,

Have a 1976 280Z. Every time I turn on my headlights, I can visually watch fuse number 8 (top right fuse) blow. The headlights themselves do work, along with my brake lights and hazard lights. What doesn't work is my running lights/side marker or blinkers. I've inspected and cleaned every single bulb socket and checked for frayed wires. Additionally, a few months ago I rebuilt combination switch which worked perfectly.I only identified two possible issues, one being a blown passenger side rear running light, which I've removed. The passenger side marker light appeared to have a old splice job on it so I removed it temporarily. I'm not sure if the one blown buld and the removed side marker would cause a short in the system? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Sounds like you have a short. Depending on the sensitivity of your meter (you need a meter) you might be able to check the resistance to ground at the different light sockets to find generally where the short is. Based on you mentioning previous hackjobs, I would start by making sure they're returned competently to stock.

Based on my "investigation" the only 2 issues ive located so far were the blown bulb (which i removed) and the hack job marker light (cut it). I suppose my question is, in an attempt to limit possibilities, would either of those two things ive done potentially cause a short? Does a bulb need to be in place to complete a circuit on this car? Thanks

Short happens when the circuit grounds sending more amperage then the fuse is rated for. If you have a blown bulb then that SHOULD cause the circuit to be incomplete and not allow any voltage through. 

So a blown bulb is unlikely to cause a fuse to blow, and it depends on the hackjob on the marker light. If the PO cut it, does that mean they left the terminals open? Did they connect the terminals together (that would be your short right there)?

Some more interesting spots for shorts I've seen:

burned wires on the turn signal wire grounding on the chassis. 

wire pulled from socket in the plastic not visible until socket was disassembled

terminal that melted through the plastic holder