HybridZ

Fuel cell well using original gas door?

boostfed

Hi everyone.

So ! im looking for a cell well ( ive only really looked into ATL's but if anyone has any other suggestions, speak up!) to fit into my spare tire well. i was originally going to cut the spare well out but decided against it, id like to keep the metal in tact for the most part. 

Has anyone been able to use the original fuel door with a filler neck to connect it to a cell well?

I've seen some pictures before but cant seem to find them anymore. I'm not super thrilled about having to pop my trunk hatch and filling up inside the car, plus i dont want the car to smell like gas if i decide to get clumsy during fill up. 

i was going to use my stock tank, but would like to run dual exhausts, so having a cell well and having it function like stock during fill up would work perfect. plus i threw away my stock 280z tank when i moved... *facepalm* it was rusted anyway, oh well. 

if anyones seen this or done this before, or have any experiences please let me know! thanks!

fyi - going into a 75 280z w/LSx. mostly going to be a cruiser but may have some drag/auto-X days in it.

Edited by boostfed

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

So ! im looking for a cell well ( ive only really looked into ATL's but if anyone has any other suggestions, speak up!) to fit into my spare tire well. i was originally going to cut the spare well out but decided against it, id like to keep the metal in tact for the most part. 

Has anyone been able to use the original fuel door with a filler neck to connect it to a cell well?

I've seen some pictures before but cant seem to find them anymore. I'm not super thrilled about having to pop my trunk hatch and filling up inside the car, plus i dont want the car to smell like gas if i decide to get clumsy during fill up. 

i was going to use my stock tank, but would like to run dual exhausts, so having a cell well and having it function like stock during fill up would work perfect. plus i threw away my stock 280z tank when i moved... *facepalm* it was rusted anyway, oh well. 

if anyones seen this or done this before, or have any experiences please let me know! thanks!

fyi - going into a 75 280z w/LSx. mostly going to be a cruiser but may have some drag/auto-X days in it.

Either way you do it, wont turn out pretty. Youll have to run the hose through the interior of the car losing your trunk space. 

Im not sure what kind of fuel cell will fit in your spare tire well. Cutting out the well is pretty much unavoidable.

Me personally, I would try to install a RX7 tank or Jeep tank. Or make a custom aluminum tank with the fuel fill on the side outside of the vehicle.

Stay away from those top fill cheap "fuel cells", only install a certified fuel cell if you're running a track that requires it. 

http://lainefamily.com/240Z_V8_Conversion_files/240Z_Conversion_Fuel_System.htm

Edited by 240zdan

Cutting the spare well is unavoidably for pretty much any non-oem tank. Especially if you're running dual exhaust.

Since you're going LS, have you considered just using an F-body tank? Has most of the benefits of a fuel cell, but you can route the filler directly to the tank without messing with your interior space.