HybridZ

Oh boy another S12+8 Caliper Thread - I.D. my setup

Recognizing that this is a six year old thread....I can share my own personal experience with the Carbotech pads.  I ran them on my car for 3 years and was relatively happy with them.  Mostly track use, with occasional street driving.  Good fade characteristics under hard use, and I don't really remember that much brake noise when street driving (but they do produce a lot of brake dust).

Since your car is mostly street use with occasional track work, another good pad to consider is the Porterfield R4-S.  I've had good luck with Porterfield front and rear; very predictable and great wear characteristics.  AP114 is the pad size for S30s:  https://porterfield-brakes.com/product/ap114/

15 hours ago, SNKBT1 said:

Miles, how did the Carbotech ax6 pads work out for you?  I track 2 times a year but mostly street drive. Thanks for any info.  

The best performing pads that I have tried on my SBC 350 240z.  I have tried all of the  Porterfield, Hawk etc pads and  they suck in comparison.

My brake setup: Carbotech Ax6 pads work really well with this setup.

• Front:  1979 Toyota 4x4 pickup calipers for solid rotors. Direct bolt on.
  • Rear: 1989 240sx rear calipers
  • 1979 280zx 15/16 in. master cylinder
  • 1978 280z 9 inch booster.

Notes about Ax6 pads:

• Excellent cold bite which is great for a daily driver.
  • Dusty at first, but I don't care.  Stopping performance is what is important.
  • No sign of fading!!!
  • No noise

Buy direct from Carbotech.  Carbotech staff is helpful and courteous.

Thank you JHM and Miles for the info.  I know its an old topic but that is where the best info is located.  

Miles, how did the Carbotech ax6 pads work out for you?  I track 2 times a year but mostly street drive. Thanks for any info.  

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, late to the party on a dusty old thread.  The Toyota S12+8 solid rotor calipers accept a 2nd gen rx7 pad with just a light grinding on the metal backing plate tab that sticks out. I can't recommend the "best" pad for an application, but those rx7 pads come in any flavor you desire. You can search for the thread or I can provide more info if you need.