HybridZ

I probably should have gone with 8" rims, but alas, I have 15x9 rims on the way. I need to order tires, and it really looks like my only option is 225/50/15. Will these suffice? It looks like my only options are the Kumho Ecsta or the R888 (but those are for track). Any recommendations? I can't find 235+ at all that aren't slicks.

Not sure what you mean by only option. 225 will go on a 7 inch, a 225 on a 9 is going to be quite a stretch. You might consider looking at something with a taller sidewall to compensate to keep the wheel/tire diameter in a realistic range if stretch is your game. 225/60/15's have quite a bit of choice for example, or if tire width is desired you can do other sizes like 245/40/15. You just have to step down to miata/E30 diameter. In the 24 inch category there just isn't too many choices.

225s are just about perfect on a 9 inch wheel. On our racecar we run 225/45R15s on 15x9 wheels and the sidewalls are just a tiny bit in from vertical. They're stretched, but most definitely in the range that they improve grip and not in the "hella low stance" way.

Hmnm, ok, thanks for the info. Not sure why I didn't look up to 225/60/15. I guess I'm curious if that will be too much sidewall, or not. I will be running coilovers and flares. If the 225/50 isn't too much stretch, maybe that is just the better route? This is all new to me, so I'm learning as I go.

It really depends on the tire, I've had 205 tires wider then 225's of another make, General makes tires wider, falken seems to make tires skinnier. A 225 on a 7 inch is not bowed in, it sits with the sidewall vertical on bridgestones, and kumho's might have a bit of a bulge, but I almost attribute that to just a softer tire. Hard for me to imagine pulling one side an entire inch further out. Or that same tire two inches. I guess it also depends on the rim.

You have to determine your purpose for the car. If you want it to look good then your tire choice is going to depend on what aesthetic you are going for. If you want the car to perform then it is pretty much about getting the most tire with the desired compound, probably less sidewall, unless you are targeting a certain weight then it would be about the tire compound. The cross section seems to be a 225/50/15 for looks/performance/street. Still a bit of side wall so you get cushioning, low enough sidewall so it doesn't appear tall, good width for stock bodied cars. If you want width you can step up to a wider taller tire, just trying to stay in the 23-25 inch range would be advantageous not to make the car look too far from what it was designed around. Up to you how you play around with the width, you will find that some sizes are popular and have more choices because they came like that on certain cars etc just fish around.

Posted (edited)

Single Point Jack Plates, Low Profile Jack, or 2X6 pine (4).

My 240 oil pan sits lower than the crossmember and I can get a Harbor Freight $100 jack under the TC box and diff. I run 16/8/245 all around on a lowered car.

I run RA1s on the race car since we can't run slicks in my Group which are 225/25/15(F & R) and and here's a picture at full droop (running with slicks during an HPDE - 225/45/15 -F & 275/35/15- R)

Fixed measurement points (center of fender inner lip, rocker, TC rod box, crossmember, diff) would allow us to compare car to car.

post-311-0-75050300-1494465287_thumb.jpg

post-311-0-94433100-1494465644_thumb.jpg

Edited by gnosez