HybridZ

New cam+head looks terrible

turbogrill

Hi,

EDIT: I want to make clear that I don't think the seller screwed me, bad title. I can't change it.

Bought a new head with cam installed online. 

Does this head need a lot of work?

1. Cam is not center in the joiurnals, how can this happen? Lucky the top of the cam doesn't hit the cam tower journals

post-51874-0-42036800-1491280179_thumb.jpg

Seller planned to remove it but change his mind.

2. On some rockers only one side of the rocker meets the lashpad area. Maybe this is due to the above, or could the entire thing be bent?

post-51874-0-74515500-1491280171_thumb.jpg

post-51874-0-71875000-1491280168_thumb.jpg

3. There seems to be something broken in the coolant inlet.?

post-51874-0-93996400-1491280176_thumb.jpg

4. Not sure why the towers would have marks like this

post-51874-0-39716000-1491280174_thumb.jpg

Any comments?

EDIT,

Edited by turbogrill

Looks like somebody just put it together wrong.  But it does also imply that he mixed up his rocker arms.  You should just take it all apart and inspect and put it back together correctly according to the FSM.  Basically, you bought a collection of parts that might make a workable cylinder head.  The rocker arms can twist on the pivot when in action so the angled gap doesn't mean a lot.  The orange RTV is concerning.  No idea what's in the coolant passage.  There's nothing in there that should break.

The cam is pushed out a little bit, probably during shipping. The marks on the cam towers are normal, they all have that.

But since it is a used head you should have it tested before you put it on.

Do you have the plate and timing gear installed at the front of the head?  That should pull the cam back into alignment - you can probably just push it forward to get it to align.

I don't see the issue with the rockers - they look like they are crooked simply because they are loose.  Do they still do this if you take the lash out? (fix the cam misalignment first)

If you are saying that some of the rockers don't reach the same point on the lash pad it wouldn't hurt to check to make sure that the installed valve stem height is uniform for every valve.  This is a requirement for these heads that many (if not most) machinists aren't familiar with and overlook.

Also not sure what I'm looking at in the coolant port - casting flash?  Is something loose?

Edited by TimZ

This is some great advice. I bought it thinking I could just put it on and drive but I now release that I probably need to inspect things a little.

My biggest concern is now the coolant port, I don't know how it's supposed to look like. It looks like something cracked and fell off.