HybridZ

Swapped in a 363... lol too much power??!

Clifton also had coilovers (smaller diameter springs) and 17" wheels, which allowed him to bring the wheel in closer to the strut, and therefore run a wider wheel. If I remember right, his wheels were 17x9. With regards to offset, he also had AZC's rear 5 lug conversion, which changes the offset by quite a bit since it bolts onto the original 4lug hub.

Am I right to also assume that offsets between 16s and 17s will vary slightly in effectiveness? Because the coilovers are angled inward, a bigger wheel would have a bit more clearance before touching the spring, no?

I still think Im stuck on 16s, so I'll probably aim for the 16x8 +10 area

Edited by thedarkie

I think 17s would make it look great but you need to keep in mind you'll have to go with very low profile tires to avoid rubbing on fenders and that will mean your ride will be harsher. But lookswise, yes, they will look amazing!

Edited by dmoralesbello

Am I right to also assume that offsets between 16s and 17s will vary slightly in effectiveness? Because the coilovers are angled inward, a bigger wheel would have a bit more clearance before touching the spring, no?

Exactly.

You guys think 17" wheels would suit the car, considering its almost bone stock looking?

I think it depends more on the style of the wheel. This car has 17" wheels, and I think it looks great. Unlike some other older cars, I think Zs wear larger wheel sizes pretty well. Here's an article on it with more info: http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/02/os-giken-power-americas-exotic-240z/

Z-Car-Garage-197-copy-1200x800.jpg

Edited by rturbo 930

Although s30 wear seventeen's very well, the suspension is crucial. It really relies on the tire profile to help absorb all the smaller bumps. I'm got fairly stiff sidewall tires, then with a standard ToKico spring setup my Z crashes over bumps.

Thanks! I think I remember now reading that... so mine must be 7" wide. Another limiting factor! 

Good tip. Actually I kind of want more ground clearance without raising the coil overs, so I might just go with a 225/50. The overall height difference between those and my current 205/50's is 0.8" so it'll give me roughly 0.4" of extra clearance for the oil pan and exhaust :-)

You might also consider the Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S, which is available in 255/50-16, and a minimum rim width of 7".  A bit taller at 26.4" than the 275/40-17s (26.0"), but should be easier to fit width-wise.

The other thing to consider from Clifton's thread was that he was running a short enough spring to allow him to put the lower spring perch above the bulge in the tire, which allowed more inboard offset...

IMG_7710_zps3borjah1.jpg

245s are about all you can do if the lower spring perch is below the tire bulge.  If you decide to do this you also need to be a bit carefull to select a spring that gives you the right combination of spring rate, ride height and that doesn't bind the coil at full bump. You start running out of room pretty quickly with the perch set that high!

Edited by TimZ

Holy crap that clearance is insane... 

I'm gonna aim for 235s, just need to find a shop with some tires in stock they wouldn't mind test-mounting on my 7" wheel. I know most manufacturers will say my tire is within range, but its always on the lower limit of what would be allowed.

Holy crap that clearance is insane... 

I'm gonna aim for 235s, just need to find a shop with some tires in stock they wouldn't mind test-mounting on my 7" wheel. I know most manufacturers will say my tire is within range, but its always on the lower limit of what would be allowed.

That was the only pic from his thread, and it was before he installed spacers.  But it did serve to illustrate the point.

Actually he could have gained quite a bit more clearance had he put the entire threaded sleeve above the bulge and picked a slightly different spring (either shorter or softer) that would allow him to maintain the same ride height.  Like I said though it does get tricky to get the right combination.

When I was running 245/50s I had to trim the spring perch just a tad to allow clearance (the tires came with the wheels from a Hybridz member).  With my 245/45s and the stiffer sidewall, I do not have the tire bulge and probably would not have had to trim the perch.