HybridZ

240SX rear disc upgrade bracket, Where can I get them?

OK,i'm a little slow, 3 years ago I bought the 240SX rear calipers to eventually do the Ross/MM 240SX rear disc upgrade.

Yes I know MM does not exist and that Ross passed away, may he rest in peace.

Well I am in the middle of a complete rear overhaul, rebuilding my CLSD, finally installing my 300ZX CV axles, and companion flanges, doing GC coilovers and am doing the rear disc conversion at the same time while I have it all apart.

Where can I source the MM 240SX caliper brackets that Ross made, is there anybody still making these? I searched Zcardepot and silvermine and they are all supplying brackets for the Maxima calipers.

If they are no longer being made are there any drawings available so I can get them made?

Also I have searched all the Brake upgrade FAQ's and have a simple question I couldn't find an answer for:

I have seen the Toyota Caliper upgrade discussed hundred of time but could not find one single actual part number that can be used for ordering.

I should probably post this as a separate question but what are the part numbers for an S12 or s12+8 solid caliper? I might do the front also while doing the coilovers

Thanks,

Greg

Use the basic caliper information below to search/purchase the calipers.

Go to the brake forum where you will find a recent discussion (last 10 days) about the s12+8 solid caliper.

There  are two versions of the s12+8 solid caliper caliper. One for the solid rotor and one machined with a wider gap for a vented rotor.  Not to be confused with the S12W caliper which is vented only and will not work with solid rotors.

basic info:

Make: TOYOTA

Model: PICKUP

Beginning Year: 1979

Ending Year: 1980

Engine Type: L4

Engine Size: 2.2L/2189cc

Engine Family: Toyota 4-cylinder

Drivetrain: 4WD

Go to Summit and search using above information.  Summit lists all the applications for this caliper (79 - 89). Do not buy Cardone calipers. The last ones I bought were full of rust powder and flakes.  Napa has decent calipers

Edited by Miles

Thanks Miles I have been following your write ups on all these conversions and your List, main reason I decided to go with the 240SX a few years ago was your write ups and your current set up at the time was the Toyota solids up front and the 240SX MM setup in the rear.

I need to source the rest of the parts, the brake line hoses, e-brake clips/hardware, caliper bolts.You recommend the Axix Ultimates Pads do you have a part number? 

Is there anything else I need besides the 84-85 300ZX 4 lug NA rotors? Do I need to have them turned down a bit? I thought I read this somewhere in the 22 page FAQ

Thanks again,

Greg

AXXIS/PBR  ceramic brake pads:

Toyota Front   45-01370U/4:  http://www.importrp.com/product.php?productid=338850&cat=&page=1

240SX Rear   45- 02300U/4:  http://www.importrp.com/product.php?productid=338820&cat=&page=1

Some parts stores may have them as well.

The AXXIS pads are good street pads, but I am now going with more aggressive Carbotech AX6  brake pads :

Toyota Front: CT137 AX6 PAD Material

240SX Rear: CT272  AX6 PAD Material

I used generic  A/N. SS brake hose to go from the hard line to the caliper.  Each caliper has a  A/N to M10 x 1.0 SS hose adapter threaded into the caliper.  I did this so I could go to my local speed shop and purchase SS brake lines off the rack for future brake modifications. Just be sure to measure the length of each hose with the suspension at full droop and move the suspension to check for binding/rubbing of the brake lines.

The 240Z brake fittings are M10 x 1.0. 

For the front do not use brake hoses with banjo connectors on the Toyota calipers.  The Toyota S12 + 8 caliper is not machined or designed for banjo connectors and they will leak.

You can use brake lines with banjo connectors on the 240SX calipers as they are designed and machined for banjo connectors. Use a fresh crush washer under the banjo fitting each time you remove the hose from the caliper. Parts stores have them. 

With the Modern Motor Sports kit, a longer driver's side brake hose was used from a hard line you supplied connected to the  the  T block  and then the long hose to the caliper. The ready made hard line (parts store) was supplied by the customer from the T block was approx 20" (measure).  See picture  and links. I didn't like the long hose so I installed a new custom driver side  hard line from the T block to the frame so a shorter 14"  hose would drop down from the frame above the caliper  to clear the axle and the tab. Don't cut/remove  anything until you have worked out a plan that you know will work.

Do you have the parking brake cable brackets (hangers) for the 240SX calipers?

You do not have to turn down the rotors. Use 84 300ZX non turbo rotors.

post-178-0-55661300-1491720574_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

MM brackets have shipped from Joe, ordered the 84-85 300ZX solid rotors from Rock Auto.

Going to order some pads tomorrow, don't think I can afford the Carbotech pads right now though so the Axis Pads will probably be ordered.

Now to search for the Brake hoses so 14" length worked on the passenger side, Longer or same length for drivers side? What size banjo fitting? -3AN hose and M10 X 1.0 fittings

I'll have it on the lift this weekend so I am sure I'll be able to answer a lot of my own questions once I can see everything.

You will need to measure your brake line length for each wheel. The original MM kit  came with two SS hoses.  A short one for the passenger side and a long one for the driver's side.

All of the brake fittings on your Z are M10 x 1.0 inverted flare, including hoses with the banjo fittings. On the rear calipers you can use banjo fittings or A/N adapters  at each end and generic SS A/N brake hose. Study up on A/N brake lines before you buy anything.

A/N hoses come with a variety of hose ends straight, 45 deg  angle or 90 deg angle etc.  You have to decide which is best for your application based on minimizing stress on the hose.  Check out Summit Racing for hoses. Also, Silvermine and Chequered Flag may sell the hoses for the MM kits.

So you have two ways to go on brake hoses:

• Prefab with correct metric hose ends that work with your brake modifications or:

• Generic A/N hose and you pick out the metric hose ends and adapters to make it work.
Edited by Miles

Pictures of relocated hard lines, -3 hose, metric to A/N adapters and 90 deg hose ends.  I set it up this way when I was experimenting with several brake configurations and it resolved the parking brake bracket clearance issue.

post-178-0-78965900-1492122987_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-00569600-1492123009_thumb.jpg

Toyota Front Brake hose:

post-178-0-56713100-1492131500_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

Great info. I had the Las Vegas kit and the supplied lines were not correct, and too short (would pull at full droop). I went with S14? Rear caliper lines, you have to be careful as if you don't remove or move the factory bracket as miles shows it can rub if you don't have it clocked right.

Received the MM brackets today from Joe, nice cast and machined pieces, I'll prime and paint this weekend and get some bolts at the local hardware store. are any washers/lock used?

Rotors are on the way.

Are these the same pads? I will call them in the morning

http://www.frsport.com/PBR-D-341-RU-Ultimate-Rear-Brake-Pad-Set-Nissan-240SX_p_14038.html

They are only $50 with shipping, IRP is $15 more with shipping

Thanks for the links on fittings/hoses I'll hold off on ordering until i have everything mocked up and measured

I have had real good luck with this company and generally get items overnight to my local speed shop because they are local to me and they seem to have some unusual fittings that I needed when doing my Aeromotive fuel pump system.

http://fragolaperformancesystems.com/catalog/fragola-performance-catalog.pdf

The part number you show looks like a Honda rear brake pad.  The clue is the FMSI number included in the part number "Part No. D 341 RU".

I checked that FMSI number on several websites and it comes up as a Honda application.

What gets confusing is that the 240SX rear  pad shape was used on many Japanese cars.  For example you can swap Maxima and 240SX pads for some years etc.

The FMSI pad shape for an 89 240SX rear caliper  has several numbers including D230, D231, D272, D232, D464 with D272 being the most common in part searches.

Pad manufacturers don't always include the FMSI number in their  part numbers.  But it is a good clue for picking the correct pads.

If it were me, I would double check the part number.

The AXXIS pads I listed above are the correct Toyota solid rotor and 240SX rear caliper pads.

Example searches using FMSI number as well as make model and year:

Here are some example pad searches at Summit Racing typing "pads D272" into the search box.  Note that if you click on the "application" at Summit it will list all cars for that FMSI number.  I am not recommending these pads -

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=HB262

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sph-309-02720/applications/model/240sx

Edited by Miles

• 2 weeks later...

Any other pads to suggest in the same price range as the Axxis ones, everybody is out of stock or say discontinued or no date for back orders

From importers.com 

Unfortunately we found out that we're out of stock on the Rear Axxis/PBR Ultimate Brake Pad Set you ordered and the manufacturer is backordered with no ETA.  

From FRsport.com

Hello,

Unfortunately that is discontinued and no longer available at this time.

Going to run stock front for now then S12+8 later do maybe 1 or 2 track days a season rest is shows and street cruising.
any suggestions in the 40-60 dollar range? the AXXIS were $50

• 4 weeks later...

Well I haven't had any luck finding Axxis/PBR Ultimate pads so now I am looking at Porterfield R4S pads.

searched and a thread said AP272-R4S But I can't find that pad for sale anywhere.

Searched Porterfield site and downloaded a 2010-2011 catalog and the list a AP230-R4S for all 240SX rear applications

been able to find a few online but nothing on Ebay?

Can someone confirm I have the right pads before I order them?

Thanks,

Greg