HybridZ

A nice V8 280z over on Bat

grannyknot

It looks like it is, picture of the car is used as his avatar and he is using the same user name on BaT, whatnow123. I thought he had different wheels on it for a while.

Very interesting to see how it will compare to the other one. Personally I think it is better executed and cleaner for sure. Curious to see how it will compare with the other one, I imagine it will "offend" purists. Now we just need an off brand inline 6 like from BMW or Toyota to see how the market responds.

We still haven't seen how an S30 with an RB engine swapped into it will fair on this new market either.

A 2JZ or an S52 is bound to piss off a buncha salty jerks, but the RB is still Nissan. The only ones that will be offended at that point are the old guys who view anything other than bone stock is a travesty.

It'll be fun watching how the V8 swapped one does though.

We still haven't seen how an S30 with an RB engine swapped into it will fair on this new market either.

A 2JZ or an S52 is bound to piss off a buncha salty jerks, but the RB is still Nissan. The only ones that will be offended at that point are the old guys who view anything other than bone stock is a travesty.

The purists are funny people. I went to a datsun car show that had 3 categories. They were stock, modified, super modified. A lowered car with aftermarket rims was modified and having that with an exhaust put you in super modified. I can't imagine what a different engine would do to these guys lol.

Its a shame that its only going for $3500... The last hybrid (L28ET) ended up going for $29000... It was already at 15k at this point in the auction... The paint is peeling back a bit..but its not too bad...The Install looks quite clean

I saw an RB20 S30 go for 14k on ebay. it needed paint badly!! Seems to me if you have a sorted swap, clean body and newish paint your looking to get 20k for your hybrid.

Its a shame that its only going for $3500... The last hybrid (L28ET) ended up going for $29000... It was already at 15k at this point in the auction... The paint is peeling back a bit..but its not too bad...The Install looks quite clean

Yeah but it was a 240z.  This 280z is more of a 240z tribute car.  And then there are the Ford hatters! 

This is the completed one at $29K:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-datsun-240z-23/

That is true, I guess we haven't seen an RB25/26 into a 240z sell recently or at least a well represented model sell on an auction site to be more specific. I imagine that the market is there though as that 510 with the SR20 sold for 45k?

That L28et swapped car, really jumbled my perception though. 

Grannyknot: that sits in there pretty nice! Looks like exhaust may be troublesome? I am kind of surprised I may break even if I ever end up selling my 2jz swapped 240z. What strange times.

This does have some things going against it like the 280z and the paint kind of going. Mechanically it looks far better sorted.

Yep, it's mine. Long story on why I was even considering even selling it as I love this car and will probably never find another Z that is this clean and untouched.. (yeah it's got a swap, but I didn't hack it up if I wanted to swap it back). I've had a few guys contact me since it's been listed that deal in Z's and other cars talking it down because of the swap then low balling me, "modified Z's don't sell, but I'll buy it". yeah.. right. Then why you calling me to tell me that? 

I was shocked at how much the 240 went for (link above)... simply shocked. Not a bad car at all, but way light on the the details to bring that kind of money. Bolt on flares, odd seats, missing pieces, the through out bearing, half a dash cap (who does that? get the whole thing)  A couple of weeks earlier a stock 280 sold for 36K. The cars I think are being recognized now.

I was watching some of these cars prices and it got me thinking of tossing my hat into the ring.... I'm now having second thoughts on even listing it as I thankfully don't need to sell it, just haven't driven it much lately and was considering the extra space yet for what I don't know.

Edited by whatnow123

Interesting to see the divide as they say. 

Seems you can't weed craigslist people out no matter the service. "Yea I know you posted it for X, but it sucks and is terrible and I'll give you a piece of gum and an old shoe"

Would be very cool if you could do a write up on your experience with BaT after all is said and done. I too think your car is more sorted overall CV axles, cleaner chassis, etc etc, just not sure the market is "ready" for a hybrid swap, although if you wait a month I think there might be more interest the new rotsun from roadkill which will receive a mustang 5.0 swap. Granted, I'm not sure of much overlap with the roadkill crowd and the BaT crowd.

Best of luck with the sale, we'll obviously all be tracking your progress :D.

Well, so far it's been a bit discouraging. A beat up 91 Miata with 170k miles with a used, unknown and stock 5.0 swap has me beat by over 5 grand.

Granted any serious bidder won't bid till the final hour(s), but how in the world does a Miata like that have a 10k bid with 3 days to go? 

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-mazda-monster-miata/

The guys name is Aaron and he is hybridz member (or maybe just a viewer, but he knew of my build thread) who bought it, so it now will be heading to Tx, Austin to be more specific, I was just there 2 weeks ago. I talked with him already, seems like a hell of nice guy, guess he has a few Z and wanted another for for the corral so she is going to good home. 

But yes, I have to agree, you all don't really know the car like I do, but he got one hell of a good deal.The car is very well sorted and it has some very expensive parts on it.. just because that's what I wanted and wanted it right, so he bought very well. 

Not sure why cars like mine don't show up when I have an itch for a hot rod?

Anyway, I'm sure he be over here soon.