HybridZ

P90 Head Determining If It Has Solid Or Hydraulic Lifters

Mayolives

Although I have been playing with l28 engines since the 80s, I find that I know very little about cylinder heads. Like most of us Datsun gear heads who work on the L28, I have always taken heads that need work, to a professional and really haven't given them much thought.  I've read that the P90 head came in both solid and hydraulic versions.  I have a few P90 heads on my shelf and need to take one to my machinist for a valve job.  How do I determine if the head I have has solid or hydraulic lifters?  Thinking back to my early days working on small block GM engines it was easy.  The lifters were right there resting in the intake and by just pushing down on one I could determine the lifter type.  The lifters were visible and the hydraulic ones would "give" when pressed on and the solid ones would not.  But how do I check the p90 heads I have before I take one to the shop for work? 

Firstly, they are not "lifters" in the GM sense.  They are the pivot points for the rocker arms.  There's a check procedure in the 1983 FSM Engein Mechanical chapter.  Similar to your GM lifter test.

I have many FSMs but not the 83. I've searched the 82 but can't find a check procedure.  Could you shed a little light on the subject?