HybridZ

280z door lock problem

Blobber

I have been trying to figure out what's wrong with my 280z doors. Car is from 1978. Both have the same issue. The problem is that when door is closed. It can be pushed gently inwards quite a bit. So probably when driving it will make a big noise. When I shut down the door, it can be closed quite gently. No need to slam the door.  

I'm just in the middle of the rebuild and all the weatherstrips in the door are new. This problem was in the car before I started the rebuild. First thought that the reason is gunk in the locking mechanism and I have been cleaning brake cleaner to get the old grease away from the lock. That did not help. Also the hinges has been fixed, so they don't "hang" anymore.

Does anybody have idea what could cause this problem? I can add tomorrow a video about this problem. Once I have figured out what's wrong with my video editor. 

Are your door bumpers missing? They should be fitted to the lower rear corners of the door openings, if they're missing then that could possibly cause this issue, though I would have expected the door rubbers to be enough to stop the doors moving when closed. Are they the correct weatherstrips because new weatherstrips usually cause the opposite problem where the doors are hard to close!

Unfortunately I'm not able to provide a video yet. But based on your suggestion, I adjusted the striker and now the problem is almost gone. Door doesn't move inside that much, but still there is quite a bang when closing the door. I will probably order new strikers and see how they work. Thanks for your help.

If it still pushes in a little while closed, you should move the striker further in. The loud bang could be caused by the striker hitting the door or walls of the lock before it shuts.

You should check if the striker hits anywhere. Try this by closing the door until you know it hits the striker(But do not latch it) and either physically look and see if it touches or watch the body lines while closing the door onto the striker. If the door moves up, adjust the striker down or vise versa. If it doesn't move at all and your body lines dont line up than either your hinge bushings are bad or your hinges are bent. You can either replace the hinges or use one of these https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-65800-Door-Adjuster/dp/B000HAUYFO

Most body shops have one of these.

Edited by baggedgoods

• 5 weeks later...