HybridZ

StanceParts Air Cups

Anyone here running Stanceparts air cups? Seems like a good idea to allow a low ride height and still have the ability to raise the car for obstacles, towing, etc. There is a video of this kit installed on a 240Z at the product website stanceparts.com.

You normally ride without any air in the cups, so they claim it doesn't affect the handling of the car at all.

I might even be able to drive into a slanted ramp parking garage. Oh right, the exhaust tone will still set off car alarms.

It does however look like a solution to a real problem. The air tank is a bit of an issue however.

Not sure how well that setup would fit with any car running camber. My recollection is not too much room up there based off of how big the cups look in the pictures.

Would be nice though if it works as advertised having lift to navigate those silly high speed bumps and such would be a awesome.

Based off some little reading it looks like a piston/hydraulic ram type setup vs a bag which makes this way better in my book. It seems like you set at desired ride height and just lift the car for obstacles which means if they fail you aren't dragging just at your set ride height

Also of note, tein had a similar system if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by seattlejester

Not sure how well that setup would fit with any car running camber. My recollection is not too much room up there based off of how big the cups look in the pictures.

Would be nice though if it works as advertised having lift to navigate those silly high speed bumps and such would be a awesome.

Based off some little reading it looks like a piston/hydraulic ram type setup vs a bag which makes this way better in my book. It seems like you set at desired ride height and just lift the car for obstacles which means if they fail you aren't dragging just at your set ride height

Also of note, tein had a similar system if I'm not mistaken.

I had that thought too. There is not much room in the top of the strut tower, if the device did fit in there, it would be seriously limited in adjustability. 

They have a Z car in the media section running it, the question would be how much modification was involved in fitting them I guess the next time someone has a wheel off they can measure.

Specs say 110mm, which is a bit over 4 inches. I think the stock springs were 3.5 inches? With the perch maybe 4 inches? Seems like it would clear, getting the fitting in might require a bit of clearancing and if cambered over then potentially problematic.

I have to say their website is very complete has all the info you want and such.

• 1 month later...

You have to purchase a smaller ( height wise ) spring.  The springs come in varying sizes and diameters so that is not the issue here.  I am waiting to see what happens this summer with a product that is supposed to launch.  I agree that the compressor and tank are an issue for me.  But I can always have one fab'd up and place it in the rear of my car.  You just have to think things through.....

I imagine this is primarily meant for adjustable coilovers. The concern was more so for the physical area available, given the stock assembly is about 110mm, running coilovers with the traditional 2.5 inch ID springs there should be quite a good amount of room inside the cup, the outside of the cup would be the question. Seems if it is about the same size you could get away with a couple degrees of camber and still have room. Might have to use a straight fitting instead of a 90 and drill through the shock tower. Would be interesting to see what is involved. Scraping frame is really not something I enjoy, but the downfalls of a bag are just too high for my personal tastes.