HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
JamesRB25280zx

Intercooler piping question

Depending on your power goals. I've got a 3.0 with a 2.5" down pipe. I believe 2.5" exhaust is rated for 500-600 bhp.

I personally believe that using 3" wouldn't hurt anything. A lot of people think the exhaust back pressure would be too low and yada yada. Back pressure is bad for any vehicle. Im pretty sure back pressure has something to do with having a catalytic converter(which I'm sure you dont.) Just make sure you're getting adequate air and you'll be fine.

Here's a link about back pressure

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/exhaust-the-straight-scoop-on-backpressure.168578/

James, Are you asking about exhaust piping or intercooler piping?  For intercooler piping, shorter and smaller will be more responsive to a point, alot of it will depend on the turbo size. For exhaust I would go 3". For intercooler piping I would say go 2.5".

I was actually wondering that myself, but the hotside of a turbo goes to the exhaust, so I'm assuming that he meant exhaust. Might have made things a bit simpler had he said exhaust and not hotside of turbo. Also, James is right about running 2.5" intercooler piping. A lot better volume for the amount of psi you plan on running.