HybridZ
Dark240Z

New to the S30, not new to modifying cars

I hate intro's, but my name is Matt. I live in the DC metro area, and this is my first Z... and my first Nissan/Datsun for that matter. I've always been in the Japanese car game. I have a turbo 8th gen Honda Si, and up until a month ago I had a 2002 WRX wagon (now totaled  :-|

After having my eye on a 240z for about 6 years, I finally brought it home on Sunday. The '71 Z was my dad's first car - and he hasn't seen one since he sold his in the 80's. I've always loved the way these cars looked, and now I finally get to build one. 

18194786_10207650247689251_5927481860137

18221974_10207650248129262_1278390083196

18157928_10207650248569273_6176189179195

Overall the car is in good shape. Minimal surface rust and one small area of rot under the battery tray but it's completely fixable. 

My end-goal for the car is to restore the body (sand blasting, repair anything that needs attention),  modernize everything on the inside (new modern wiring harness, add A/C and switch to servo HVAC unit, race cage, seats, etc), and then throw something big and high output in the engine bay. I haven't landed on a swap yet, but it's likely either going to be an RB26 mated to a 300zx trans/diff, or the dime-a-dozen LS/T56 combo. 

I'm in the very early stages of the build (tearing the car down getting it ready for sand blasting and primer), so I'm still researching the best places to source parts from. I'm looking at the Techno Toy Tuning rear end conversion (going 5 lug) as well as most of their suspension parts up front (tension rods, LCA's, coilovers, etc). But I haven't done a lot of research for companies that offer similar product lines. 

I do have one question. Is there a specific forum category for build threads? I know this is an intro area, but I'd love to start a build thread to track the cars progress over the next year. 

Thanks sir!

If you've already got one car totaled, I'd recommend a roll cage. These cars are about as safe as throwing a road flare into a fireworks factory.

I guess context is everything. My WRX was totaled when an uber driver ran a red light and I T-Boned him in the middle of an intersection. Never had an accident before this, or one that was my fault for that matter. 

Regardless, I plan on doing road racing with this car so a cage is on the list. Don't worry. 

If you've already got one car totaled, I'd recommend a roll cage. These cars are about as safe as throwing a road flare into a fireworks factory.

I'm sorry, but this is terrible advice. He never said why the car was totaled in the first post - it could have been anything, not necessarily something he did - and if you search on here you'll see that having a full cage in your car isn't always a good thing, and can actually be really dangerous on the street. And while these cars aren't very safe compared to a new car, they aren't as bad as you'd think. I don't know about the 240z, but the 280z, especially the 77-78 model years, have a handful of safety features designed in. Also, 73+ (I think) Zs have HUGE beams in the doors which add about 10lbs per side. My E30, which was designed some ten years later, only has a little tube in the door.

Sorry to jump down your throat, but I felt that needed clearing up.

Regardless, I plan on doing road racing with this car so a cage is on the list. Don't worry. 

Is road racing going to be the primary use? If it's going to be a street driven car, consider doing just a half cage, and do some reading on here with regards to having a full cage in a street driven car. JohnC has some good posts on this topic. Off the top of my head, Mikelly and bjhines probably do too.

Oh, and welcome! You're in the right place.

Welcome

Suggestions:

• Download a Factory Service Manual (FSM) 
  • Download electrical schematics for your car.  PDFs are easier to read than those found in books. Some are in color.
  • Buy the book How to Restore Your Datsun Z Car by Wick Humble. It will save you hours of searching for "how to" info.
  • Focus on searching Hybridz as 99% of questions have already been addressed.
  • Start bookmarking Z car parts suppliers
  • Join ClassicZCars.com website and search there as well.
  • Become well informed about modifications before asking questions. People will be more inclined to answer informed questions.
  • Read the new member FAQs.

Useful Links:

http://zhome.com/

http://www.zcarparts.com/

http://www.arizonazcar.com/

Welcome to the forums.

Bummer on the totaled subie.

Definite with rturbo here. If the car will never see the street then by all means the benefit of a cage is is really numerous if not a requirement, but if any street use is thought of then a roll cage is a big nono. That same scenario of being t-boned could have killed you with a cage given how small these cars are and where cages have to route, even with impact cushioning bars your head has no chance.

With that said good luck, really plan your build and you will save yourself a lot of headache!

Hey Matt, welcome to the forum, it is a great site. Both of your engine choices are popular and pretty well documented here in the archives so you won't have to reinvent the wheel so to speak. Your Z looks pretty decent and solid, as I'm sure you know that is more than half of your battle right there, and while your modifying the Z make sure you save that Cherokee! Great trucks and they disappearing quickly due to those lousy floor pans, I owned 2 of them.

Chris

I'm sorry, but this is terrible advice. He never said why the car was totaled in the first post - it could have been anything, not necessarily something he did - and if you search on here you'll see that having a full cage in your car isn't always a good thing, and can actually be really dangerous on the street. And while these cars aren't very safe compared to a new car, they aren't as bad as you'd think. I don't know about the 240z, but the 280z, especially the 77-78 model years, have a handful of safety features designed in. Also, 73+ (I think) Zs have HUGE beams in the doors which add about 10lbs per side. My E30, which was designed some ten years later, only has a little tube in the door.

Sorry to jump down your throat, but I felt that needed clearing up.

Is road racing going to be the primary use? If it's going to be a street driven car, consider doing just a half cage, and do some reading on here with regards to having a full cage in a street driven car. JohnC has some good posts on this topic. Off the top of my head, Mikelly and bjhines probably do too.

Oh, and welcome! You're in the right place.

It will likely see more street use than track use. Definitely will not be a dedicated track car. I plan on doing racing seats and a harness bar along with 5 point harnesses in both seats. What about a half cage?

I know the dangers of a cage in a street car when you're not wearing a helmet. I still have to talk to an expert about what's right. But the small pillars and overall nature of a car from the 70's with no airbags worries me, so I figured a cage would be a way to offset that. 

Welcome

Suggestions:

• Download a Factory Service Manual (FSM) 
  • Download electrical schematics for your car.  PDFs are easier to read than those found in books. Some are in color.
  • Buy the book How to Restore Your Datsun Z Car by Wick Humble. It will save you hours of searching for "how to" info.
  • Focus on searching Hybridz as 99% of questions have already been addressed.
  • Start bookmarking Z car parts suppliers
  • Join ClassicZCars.com website and search there as well.
  • Become well informed about modifications before asking questions. People will be more inclined to answer informed questions.
  • Read the new member FAQs.

Useful Links:

http://zhome.com/

http://www.zcarparts.com/

http://www.arizonazcar.com/

Thank you!

Hey Matt, welcome to the forum, it is a great site. Both of your engine choices are popular and pretty well documented here in the archives so you won't have to reinvent the wheel so to speak. Your Z looks pretty decent and solid, as I'm sure you know that is more than half of your battle right there, and while your modifying the Z make sure you save that Cherokee! Great trucks and they disappearing quickly due to those lousy floor pans, I owned 2 of them.

Chris

I've been doing my homework and I love how much info there is. The picture with the cherokee in it was when the car was still with its previous owner. He's a good friend and is also working on a CJ build!