HybridZ

Different Progressive springs

So to start off, I am cheap. I hate over paying on car parts just because my car is older than most of the peoplease that work in parts stores. Some times I can get away with it, other times I just flip open the wallet and hope the wife doesn't knowtice.

I currently have chevy chevelle springs (moog 6556) on my ls1 280z 2+2 and although they ride great in the front with the extra weight, they are way to stiff in the rear at around 197 lbs. So I have been planning on swapping to coil overs for the ability to change springs and I came across a website that has specs for moog springs

http://classiccarsprings.com/coil-spring-specifications.html

Looking through this list, cc257 is a progressive spring that is 149lbs at 15.5 in height so it is only slightly stiffer than the stock springs and very close to the exact hight.

What do you guys think?

Btw, these springs are for a 90-97 honda accord I believe

Edited by walkerbk

Avoid progressive springs. You can buy springs really cheaply from speedwaymotors.com. They are cheap enough there to let you play around with the rate and find whatcha like.

I've read that several times on this forum, what is it about progressives that you don't like?  Ah, something to do with racing?

• 2 weeks later...

That is why I was looking at these springs. The stock ones are right around 100lbs/in and with these being 150lbs/in I figure that should give the soft side about a stock feeling and then the firm side enough to reduce roll when cornering.

I've read that several times on this forum, what is it about progressives that you don't like?  Ah, something to do with racing?

If you're doing any " Canyon Carving", Autocrossing or Track Days progressive springs can make the turn-in non linear. Not a nice feeling. Even a nice twisty highway can feel " Spooky ".  It's good to have a car that behaves the same through all phases of a corner. Entry mid-corner and exit. Progressive springs tend to screw that up. Especially on a 40 year old chassis that was not designed for progressive rate springs.