#1 Ironhead

Ironhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 2 weeks ago

Hi All,

My name is Bryan and I have recently become the owner of a 1974 260z that is going to be a long term project.

The car appears to have a solid body, no rust I can find, and is an automatic (gasp), but it is also a '74 so it is smog exempt (major consideration here in California).  Basically...my plan is to completely gut the car, media blast, do any and all needed reinforcements, cage it, and build it into the purest track car that I can still drive to and from track events.....without needing to trailer it.  So there will be a few compromises in the mission focus of the car....but hopefully not too many.

My plan is to do pretty much everything myself, except the media blasting and final painting.  Some of this I am sure will stretch my abilities, but that is part of the intent and the fun with this project.  

I will say up front....I bought the car pretty much to have a smog exempt shell to do what I want with, and I am not too concerned (actually not concerned at all) about remaining true to the Datsun's originality and all that.  From what I have read throughout this forum, I think I have come to the right place.

For power...I am thinking either a built L engine or an LS swap (leaning toward LS3).  The economics are kind of steering me toward the LS.  I know I can spend $10K+ for a built L engine with 300+ HP that is peaky, temperamental, has little torque, and needs good gas.  Or I can spend $4-6K on an LS engine with 4-500 HP, gobs of torque, runs on pump gas, weighs very little more than stock, etc.  I have to do more research, but you can see which way I am leaning.  I have to admit that emotions are still a factor.  I have always been a huge fan of the Z racing cars, starting with the IMSA GTU in the 1970s, and there is just something cool about an inline 6 with three carbs or ITBs....but all other factors seem to favor the V-8.

I am currently in the search for a small/affordable rental warehouse space to do all this, as my garage is already packed with my other project car, the wife's horse gear, etc.  Nothing can happen there.  Once I find a location, the fun will begin.

I'm sure there will be some evolution in the project as I am confronted with various realities....but above is my rough plan.

I will take a lot of pictures and start a build thread once things get going.

Edited by Ironhead, 2 weeks ago.

#2 BluDestiny

BluDestiny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2302 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, IA

Posted 2 weeks ago

Are you farther north than the bay area? There's a lot of shops in that area to get inspiration. 

Posted Image
We race from 120MPH rolls...
Moderatio est figmentum

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien

#3 Ironhead

Ironhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 2 weeks ago

Are you farther north than the bay area? There's a lot of shops in that area to get inspiration. 

I'm about 2 hours from the SF Bay area...so not too far.

Rebello Racing is close....I know they are sort of the "L" engine gurus....what other shops would you recommend?

#4 BluDestiny

BluDestiny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2302 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, IA

Posted 2 weeks ago

Troy Ermish racing and Techno toy tuning. I know T3 isn't really specific to datsuns,  but in terms of power handling for the drive line you'd want to talk to them also. 

Posted Image
We race from 120MPH rolls...
Moderatio est figmentum

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien

#5 Ironhead

Ironhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 2 weeks ago

Troy Ermish racing and Techno toy tuning. I know T3 isn't really specific to datsuns,  but in terms of power handling for the drive line you'd want to talk to them also. 

Thanks.

T3 is only about 30 minutes from me.

Does Troy Ermish Racing do Zs?  I just saw 510 stuff on their site.

#6 gogriz91

gogriz91

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMiddle GA, for now

Posted A week ago

Troy does Zs

"Day/Night VFR street fighter" '73 HLS30 129806; L-28, street cam, SUs, 5-speed, Koni's, Suspension techniques springs, swaybars, R200 w/3.90 LSD, BRE front/rear spoilers, Pertronix ignition

Heavily medicated for your protection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users